New Discussion

Re: Replacing HDD in a RAID array on Proliant Gen8

SOLVED
Go to solution
tdp
Occasional Visitor

Replacing HDD in a RAID array on Proliant Gen8

Hi

I am configuring a Proliant Gen8 microserver and a question came up to mind, that I would love to solve before continuing with setting up the server.

How can I replace an HDD in case of failure and/or upgrade?
I am configuring 2 1TB HDDs as RAID 1 that will then become 4-8TB RAID 10 HDDs.

How would I go about the transition? It took me hours to understand every time I touch an HDD the RAID controller needs to reset (does it erase data? What's the point of a RAID if I need to reset the controller then or am I missing something?).

Can I just switch 1 1-TB drive for an 8TB, wait for it to clone the data and do the same with the other? Would it be a bootable drive?

Sorry I am quite new to RAID and servers, hope this makes sense.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
sudhirsingh
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi,

Microserver Gen8  support only NHP (Non Hot Plug) drives,

Maximum Internal Storage : Non-Hot Plug SATA 16TB (4 x 4TB) 3.5" SATA,

HDD Options are : 500GB, 1/2/3/4 TB

Answer to your questions:

1. Replacing NHP (Non Hot Plug) drives, -> Shutdown the server then remove and replace the drive,

Note: Only Hotswap drive you can replace online /While server is on.

2. If you are upgrading 2 x 1 TB drive with Higher Capacity drives then replacing individual drive will not help,

you need to replace all the drives at once and reconfigure array and logical drive.

3. Raid configuration information stored on drives so replacing a single drive from Raid 1(mirroring) will not cause any data loss.

Few reference:

Server quickspecs

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=c04123182

Server spare parts 

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c03800702

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

Regards,

Sudhir

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

>Accept or Kudo

tdp
Occasional Visitor

Thank you for your reply.
I did see the max storage limit under specs but did not really understand as to why. Do you know if there is a reason for the Gen8 not being able to detect 4x8TB drives?
sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Hi,

I believe, there was no 8TB drive available when it was launched.

Even now i am not sure, whether 8TB will be supported and 4x8TB drives will work.?

Regards,

sudhir

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

>Accept or Kudo