ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1753259 Members
5171 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Rompaq installation killed the DL380 G2 SCSI

CA1322917

Rompaq installation killed the DL380 G2 SCSI

I have a DL380 G2 with the Smart Array 5i controller on board. I just applied the Rompaq to upgrade the controller to 2.62c. Now, the SCSI controller is not seen. Period. Not on boot, Not when I boot off of the SmartStart CD. Not even when I boot off the Rompaq CD.
So, how do I get the controller back? I have grabbed an older version of the driver but I can not apply it because the ROM Utility CD does not detect the controller to give me the option of install.

Worst thing is, this is the backup server and I am really hoping to recover it.

Any ideas??
6 REPLIES 6
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

David:

I had a Dl380G2 that I recently just shutdown to do some SAN related work and whe nI went to turn it back on... the 5i was dead. The controller was detected, but was acting funky. I had HP replace it. Maybe you can do the same if your server is under warranty still or under maintenance.

If the System does not see the 5i at all, then there is probably something up with the controller board. You can try reseating it, but it is not likely that will do anything.

Another thing to try is unplug the server, if you haven't already and let it sit for an hour or 2. Plug it back in and see what happens. Sometimes these boxes react better after having the power drained from the circuitry.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
CA1322917

I'll give those a try. So far this is the second motherboard and both have blown up after this update. The first we were having SCSI issues with so I just figured it was a bad board. Now I am thinking the update. If this does not work, is there a way to force aROMPAQ update on a non-detected device?

Dave
CA1322917

Well, the unplugging did not work. There has to be a way to push an older ROMpaq onto these systems so that I can clear out this new one. Or a way to reset the board to some kind of default. Is there anything out there that may do this? I really do not want to order another board and have two sitting aroung that do not work simply because of a ROMpaq install.
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

There is no way to push firmware update for other than system ROM (for System ROM it called Disaster Recovery). Any device where device not detected â canâ t be flashed, in some cases where device might functional flaky you might be able to Update Firmware.
http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/showphoto?partnumber=228510-001
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

Perhaps there is a dependency between the Smart Array 5i firmware and the system board firmware. Which system board firmware version is installed?
CA1322917

I had on the latest version of the System ROM, version 2004.05.01 (this is for the DL380 G2 P24) I have downgraded that to version 2002.08.17, to no avail. I have tried upgrading and downgrading this a couple of times hoping that doing this once would make it recognise the blasted SCSI controller.

Since I don't feel like having two mother boards sitting around with bad controllers, I guess I should just buy a SCSI card for the server. It just really blows my mind that there is no "GOLD" version of the system ROM that I could put on that would have everything recognised.

Anything else you all can think of?