1752571 Members
5283 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Serial Relay Agent keeps losing connection with UPS on COM1

CA1246296
Occasional Advisor

Serial Relay Agent keeps losing connection with UPS on COM1

Before the installation on HP Rack and Power Manager 1.0 there was an device within "Device Manager" called 'HP R3000XR'. After installing HP Rack and Power Manager 1.0 this device is gone and the Serial Relay Agent cannot get an connection to the UPS. Even when we uninstall the software the HP R3000XR does not appear in 'Device Manager'. Uninstalling version 1.0 and installing versie 1.1 does not fix the problem. We are running Windows 2003 on all of our DL380 servers. I think version 1.0 changes something within the BIOS because when we move the disks form the server that does not work to an new server (out of the box) the problem is gone.
Can somebody tell me what went worng and how to fix this?
27 REPLIES 27
Marcus Martin
Frequent Advisor

I am having a similar problem

I connect the R5500XR to one of the ProLiant DL380 G4 Servers install the serial agent and the system agent and then install the hp rack and power manager version 1.1.3 the manager picks up the UPS device on Com1 but disconnects almost immediately.

at no time have i seen a PNP screen to install the UPS on the server and i even tried installing the SP31835 inf to see if would cure the problem. The servers are part of a farm and are rebooted every night but the serial com port will not connect.

Am i being stupid or something? Someone please help because this is becoming rediculous.
BOFH since 1999
Marcus Martin
Frequent Advisor

I am having a similar problem

I connect the R5500XR to one of the ProLiant DL380 G4 Servers install the serial agent and the system agent and then install the hp rack and power manager version 1.1.3 on a seperate node. The manager picks up the UPS device on Com1 but disconnects almost immediately. I have attached the Event Viewer Trap for you to look at.

at no time have i seen a PNP screen to install the UPS on the server and i even tried installing the SP31835 inf to see if would cure the problem. The servers are part of a farm and are rebooted every night but the serial com port will not connect.

Am i being stupid or something? Someone please help because this is becoming rediculous.
BOFH since 1999
Marcus Martin
Frequent Advisor

OK i just received a link that may help

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_EX050502_CW01

Using the CLI on the ilo will cause the com port to stop.

Answer: switch it off, but if you do that you dont have ilo any more.

Oh boy.
BOFH since 1999
Marcus Martin
Frequent Advisor

Hi the information for disabling the CLI above worked for 2 of my servers and yes i know if you disable the cli it doesnt disable the ilo LOL.

Well on the other server there is no way the new device will be detected in the device manager and in am sure that is why im getting the Serial Relay Agent Error.

Anybody have anything else to add to this please.
BOFH since 1999
Lourdes Machin

I have the same problem here. The HP R3000 connected to COM1 of a Proliant DL380 can't be detected at teh Device Manager. I have disabled the ILO, but this has not solved teh problem. Any more ideas? Thanks
glenn calverly
Advisor

I am having a similar issue with SRA as well. Sometimes when installing, the SRA will flood the Application log with 'Eventlog corrupt' messages. Cleaning the eventlog (Win2k) did nothing.

I went through a rack and a half of DL380's to find one that the service would run on. (this is especially a pain with 3 UPS's per rack) It ran for a month or so, then started filling the Application log with 'event log corrupt' messages again. (On Win2k3).

All of our servers, since we don't license ILO remote management, have the ILO boards disabled. UPS's are XR3000R's, between 3 years and 1 month old.
Marcus Martin
Frequent Advisor

Still waiting for the geniuses at HP to figure this out. I have currently more pressing things to worry about :)

would be nice to see this issue resolved though
BOFH since 1999
glenn calverly
Advisor

I'd like to see this resolved too. I've got 15 racks with 3 UPS's each, not all of which are monitored. This is bad, as power demand in the Winter gets excessive around here, and brown outs are frequent.

Domain Controllers like to be shut down cleanly.

I notice this problem is still 'unassigned'.
glenn calverly
Advisor

So, I take it that HP's response is basically 'you are on your own'.

So, I guess well be reccommending IBM Blade hardware and UPS's as a fix for this problem.