1752307 Members
5238 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Serial Relay Agent keeps losing connection with UPS on COM1

Marcus Martin
Frequent Advisor

My Goodness Glen,I know its a long shot but you have diabled the CLI for the iLO right? apparently the baud 9600 can conflict with the serial connection to the servers.

When i was first trying to solve this i even tried connecting a serial lead to the com port and used a program to see if it was actually broadcasting any information. and indeed the card was.

There is a possible solution to the problem Glen and this is the route i was going to take if i hadn't been "lucky" enough to make it work. See the link below.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00686030/c00686030.pdf

Its an SNMP/Serial Port Adapter card that is hotswappable. As we run an openview snmp manager here at the council, it wouldnt have been much trouble to get alerts from the ups via snmp and maybe the serial port on this card would be a little bit more forth comming connecting to the servers. Check it out mate because it think i found one for about ├В┬г180 but for the life of me i cant find one now. and for the amount of time you have wasted on this it is surely a more cost effective way of getting you back on the road so to speak.

Please refrain from sacrificing animals it can only lead to bad things :)

Have Fun MM
BOFH since 1999
Marcus Martin
Frequent Advisor

Oh i found it in my bookmarks, although the company that was offering it isnt offering it anymore. The part number is there though :)

http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPF-Compaq-Compaq-SNMP-Serial-Port-Card-192189-B21
BOFH since 1999
glenn calverly
Advisor

Thanks for the leads Marcus.

I'll give them a shot. We may even still have some of these old Compaq cards around. Or even some PCI serial cards.

And, yes, one of the first tasks is to disable iLO, as the customer doesn't want to pay for the extra licenses. Strangely though, HP SIM has been detecting errors with them lately - but that is a different thread. ;)
Ralph Higginbotham

I have a similar problem with R5500 and a two racks of DL385's and DL585's. The problem seems to be with the servers, not the UPS's. I attached the UPS's to Dell workstations, installed the Rack and power manager software, and the UPS's connect just fine. I even tried installing the management software on one of the DL385's with the SRA and UPS attached to the workstation, and it also works that way. It only fails to connect when physically attached to one of those damned servers. I suspect that if I go back and reinstall the OS on the servers without all of HP's management crap, that they will work fine. Maybe someday I'll have a few days to kill to try it out.
Burri Andreas

Hello
I've done the following steps.
Go into the ILO Management and disable the CLI. Then shut down the server. Plug the power cord off. wait for about 10 seconds. then plug the power cord in. now start the server up. with out the serial cable pluged in. when windows is started up. plug the serial cable in. after that I saw and wcould manage the ups.
Patrik Kullman

I was told by a HP representative that I should disable the "BIOS Serial Console Port" and "Virtual Serial Port" in RBSU in addition to disabling the iLO serial CLI.

So far, everything works!
ded_ch

We use this R3000 UPS devices on several different locations. They all use HP DL385 G4 and DL380 G4 Servers.
On 6 out of 10, the connection to the UPS does not work.
The OS is different on most of them. Some use Win2000, some Win2003 and some VMWare ESX.
I tried every step in this post, including disabling all the ilo CLI and VSP Ports.
Just today I tried the one with shuting down the server and unplug it from power for a while. Then start up the server without the serial cable attached. Even that did not do the trick for me. Afterwards I also tried to reinstall the hp Power rack management software. Still no luck.
I really hope, the HP Support would get a working solution for this problem. (Do they even read this forum?)

As soon as I find out anything new, I will post it here.
luisferreira
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I've a customer with a similar problem.
Server DL380 G4 using UPS 5500XR ,UPS not being detected in device manager. We've tried all the suggestions in this thread , no lucky :-(
We've tried as workaroud , an USB/Serial converter adapter connected to an USB port in the server and everything works ok !!!
Anu update related to the problem from HP ?