5295 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Server manuals for ProLiant 800 6/600

Chapman Flack
Occasional Advisor

Server manuals for ProLiant 800 6/600

Hi,

I got a PL800 6/600 used. No manuals ... no problem, there hasn't been a piece of computer equipment I've bought in the last year where I couldn't get the manuals in 5 minutes from the manufacturer web site.

Well, I've blown half a week looking for manuals for this PL800. The Compaq links go to HP - ok, fine - then the links all go in circles, I can get brochures and quickspecs and troubleshooting guides (which tell me to make sure I have the server manual, and point me to dead links), ITRC's Ask Jeeves comes up with nothing for a simple question like "Where do I find ProLiant 800 server documentation?"

Can somebody please help me find the manuals?

Thank you,
Chapman Flack
4 REPLIES 4
Mark Morgan
Regular Advisor

I know this might sound strange but, did you try eBay? I bought my manuals for my 3000r for around fifteen dollars. All I can suggest is try that and good luck.
Chapman Flack
Occasional Advisor

But wait ... does the "try eBay" reply mean it's really true that the support website for Compaq servers does not have the Compaq server documentation anywhere? Can that be right?

Thanks,
Chapman Flack
Chapman Flack
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the links! I had seen them before - the most promising-looking one is the SupportManual one. I guess I should explain why I was still looking. You see, that SupportManual page is a whole bunch of links, but they're all a haphazard assortment of documents, brochures, white papers on setting up NetWare, a few individual chapters in pdf out of something called a "ProLiant 800 Servers Maintenance and Service Guide", but not the whole thing, and anyway it turns out to be for a completely different minitower design that's nothing like my server (but there's no way to find that out without downloading the pdfs and reading them). There is a whole manual called the ProLiant 800 Servers Supporting Pentium II Processors and 100 MHz System Bus Maintenance and Service Guide, which is the closest I can find to describing my server even though mine never was a Pentium II - at least the pictures look familiar. You'd think that manual might be a companion to the ProLiant 800 Servers Supporting Pentium II Processors and 100 MHz System Bus Setup and Installation Guide listed just below it, but no, that one's about different model with another completely different processor board and backplane design.

What this page is completely lacking is a simple table: you've got X model, these are the documents that go with X model.

This machine has, for example, a whole Integrated Remote Console capability visible in SCU that isn't even mentioned in any manual I've been able to find yet.

So, I was wondering if it's at all possible to find *the* documentation that's supposed to go with *this* model server. You know, the last time I had to do this was with a Dell, and on their support website it took me 5 minutes.

-Chap