ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1745793 Members
3674 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Setting up a Proliant 3000

Levi Kemp

Setting up a Proliant 3000

I have acquired a Proliant 3000, 450Mhz PII, for a project at my school and need some assitance setting it up. It boots up fine, but has a problem with the array saying the drives have been moved and to run the maintenance program to find the locations and fix them. I don't know what program this is, and I'm not concerned about any info on the drives. What I need to know is what steps must I take before I can do a clean install of an OS. I really need to get this going so I can have a demo setup before summer. I appreciate any and all help. If you need more info let me know I'll be glad to supply it.
5 REPLIES 5
Carlos_61
Valued Contributor

Hi, do you have Smart Start CD? because with this software you can do that you want.
You need to load SS and run System Erase Utility, reboot and configure all again (time, date and internal cards), then you can install OS that you have.
If you dont have SS CD, you need to download all drivers to install OS, first you need to download System Erase Utility, create diskette, boot with this and clean all previous configuration, then load OS media and apply additional drivers (you need to download all aditional internal drivers to add with F6 when OS needs) then follow to finish.
if you need more help write to my mail, or add me to msn contacts...
Carlos_61
Valued Contributor

Kazuto Okayasu
Advisor

It sounds like the server has a SmartArray controller and the drives have been moved around. If you want to just wipe it and start from scratch, just download and run SmartStart 5.5 http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/22678.html

and use System Erase to wipe those errors and any other configuration bits.
Levi Kemp

I downloaded the SmartStart 5.5 CD, but I cannot get it to boot to it. I know I burned it correctly, it opens up the utilites window on the computer I burned it on. I tried creating the diskets, and even though they are not bootable I was able to boot to a MSDOS boot disk. I cannot seem to get the array disk management disks to run right, or the system erase disk either. I'm not sure why it will not boot to the CD, it goes immediately to PXE boot, which does nothing. Any suggestions? BIOS settings or something like that? Is there a way to clear it without using the cd or disks? Thanks.
Chris Rosan
Valued Contributor

Check the boot order in the bios. Set the CDROM to the primary boot device.

I'd also suggest putting a different CDROM in. I've seen older cdrom's that won't boot, but will still read drives in the O/S (particulary with compaq drives). Grab one out of another machine and install it. Being that the server is quite old, that could be causing it.