ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1748280 Members
3981 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Setup NetRAID-3si on LH3

Mark Laughlin

Setup NetRAID-3si on LH3

My Netserver LH3 has a NetRAID-3si adapter. I can use NetRaid express to create a logical drive and Fedora or Mandrake seem to install, but when I try to boot from the array, I get a Non-System disk or disk error message.

During the OS install, there was plenty of hard drive activity.

Is there somewhere in setting this up that I need to designated this a boot device? With the NetRAID-3si, do I need to have Integrated HP Netraid set to enable in the BIOS when using the NetRAID-3si?

I have the Integrated HP NetRAID Controller Configuration Guide, but I get the impression that following this guide is not appropriate for NetRAID-3si.

My Netserver was working fine with Mandrake Linux until I decided to make some changes to the RAID.

My machine has two drive cages, the left one I disconnected (attempting to isolate and reduce complexity). The right cage is filled with 6 drives. I've tried creating RAID 5 logical drives with both the NetRAID Express Tool as well as the Netserver Navigator. And at least this part seems to go well and various Linux distros seem to install, but all fail to boot.

I figure I must be breezing over something. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I'm overlooking?

I have two LH3's, but the other doesn't have the NetRAID-3si card. Rugged machines. I just wish I could remember how I set this thing up before.
The Meek Shall Inherit the Gulag
4 REPLIES 4
Sean T. Craig
Honored Contributor

Re: Setup NetRAID-3si on LH3

Hi Mark,

I think I have an idea of what's going on here but just want to clarify a few things. First, why are you using the 3si? Do you need the additional 3rd channel? The only real difference between the 3si and the embedded is one extra channel and a larger cache size. If you don't need these things, I'd recommend putting the card into stock as a backup in case your embedded controller fails.

Next, the O/S not found message - Usually caused by the boot order not having the O/S device first in the list. If you're not using the embedded NetRAID, go into the system BIOS and on the User Preferences page, set Integrated HP NetRAID to Disabled.

Now go to the Configuration page and choose Boot Device Ordering and then Hard Drive Priority. Set the NetRAID card to the first one in the list.

Save settings and exit - it should boot to the O/S.

Let us know how it goes,

Sean T. Craig Sr. C.E.T., M.C.P.

I am King...of my apartment.
Mark Laughlin

Sean, Thanks so much for your help.

My LH3 came with the NetRAID-3si adapter.

The Installation and Configuration Guide
for HP NetRAID-3Si and HP NetRAID-1Si mentions that the NetRAID-3si adapter supports Linux while the NetRAID-1si doesn't. If the embedded controller is Linux friendly, I'd definitely like to set aside the 3si for a spare. Plus I could plan on setting up my second LH3 (which doesn't have a 3si card) with Linux as well.

When you mention changing the Boot Order, is that done in the Ctrl-C SymBios configuration page?
Mark Laughlin

I tried removing the 3si card and couldn't get the embeddded NetRaid to function. So, under the assumption the 3si card was filling in for a failed embedded adapter, I reinserted the 3si card and plugged back in the battery.

While there, I removed the left side storage container and put six drives in the righ side container. Then disabled HP NetRaid in the BIOS. Using NetRaid Express Tools, I created a logical drive from the six drives in RAID 5. I tried to install Suse 10.1 and it informs me that no hard disks were found. I went into CTRL-C SymBios Config and changed the boot order and ended up with the same message from Suse Linux. Fedora core 5 will proceed to install and I can see hard disk activity, but when the install is done, I'm unable to boot from the disks.
Mark Laughlin

Ok, found in the Setup - Configuration - Hard Drive boot order and set the PCI card to number one position. Still not booting. Not sure what I'm missing. This thing was working before I went to do a different RAID and Linux install.

Does the message during power up "Symbios, Inc. PCI Boot ROM no supprted devices found!" Have any bearing on why I can't get my Netserver to boot from RAID