ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1748035 Members
5114 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Smart Array 5300 Controller problem

Erling

Smart Array 5300 Controller problem

I have a Compaq ProLiant ML370 G2 server with a Smart array 5302/64 controller installed. The server is installed with Windows Server 2003. It was booting when I got the server some weeks ago. I was updating the bios to P25 and some firmaware when it stopped working (don't remember exactly).

The server are not able to boot to HD anymore.

When I boot from SmartStart I get an error message "There is no bootable drive configured on this system." In the BIOS (RBSU) i can see that the PCI card is not known to the system anymore ("Unknown PCI Device").

When running Insight Diagnostics from the SmartStart CD i can see the vendor ID and the device ID of the card inn slot 1. The vendor ID is 0E11 and the device ID is B09f.

From this site (http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/linux/device-driver-matrix.html) I can see that the vendor Id are correct, but I belive the device Id should have been 4070. I belive this is way the POST rutine don't recognice the card.

On strange thing is that I have been able to boot the server a cople of times after the problem started. The last time I was able to see that the Smart Array 5300 controller was loaded during POST, and that it was recogniced by the BIOS.

I have tryed to install the card in a another slot, removed the cables, disabled other pci-devices, but nothing seems to work.

Is it any way to update the device id on a card in a given pci slot?

Regards from Norway.

Erling
2 REPLIES 2
Nieko hut

Hello,

I also have a Compaq Proliant ML370 G2 server with a smart array 5300. The server had been turned off for a couple of months and when I tried to boot it a couple of days ago, it also could't find the smart array controller.

Perhaps someone could provide an answer or solution to this problem.
We really need this thing to be running!!

Please help..

Nieko

Erling

Hi,

I solved this problem.

Since it occur after some time without power to the server, I suspected some problems with a batery, and the Smart Array controllers have two batteries.

The trick is to discharge the two batteries on the card, and let the server charge them.

I used a small 5V bulb to discharge the batteris (they can be removed from the card without any tools).

When the batterypower is very low, the smart array controller will temporary turn off the cash temporary. This is ok, and normal.

Regards.

Erling