1753716 Members
4895 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Smartstart from network boot?

Saltend
Advisor

Smartstart from network boot?

Is it possible to use the Smartstart or Firmware CD's from some sort ofservice like RIS? Has anyone done this already?

I'd like to be able to network boot into the firmware CD in particular, smartstart would be a bonus.
3 REPLIES 3
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi,

you could use the Integrated Lights Out's Virtual Media feature to mount the CD remotely (even an ISO image, I think) and boot from it, performing the firmware updates via the Remote Console.
Also you could use the online Firmware Updates if you have the appropriate OS, or push firmware updates using Systems Insight Manager.
I'm not sure if you can do it using PXE.

Regards,
Stephen
Saltend
Advisor

We do not use the Lights out boards here.

The servers are mostly DL380 G0's and ML350 G3's.

We do use the HPSIM for firmware but it's hard work to do hard disks via that, the firmware cd just does everything at the click of a button which is why I'd like to have it easily accessable.

I may have found a solution which I will work on, using a tftp server like a RIS server. In the mean time any other idea's are much appreciated.
Saltend
Advisor

I got the cd to boot using RIS and pxelinux, however it does not boot properly, this could be due to testing it on a workstation and not a propliant server but I don't have one I can take offline right now for testing.

http://syslinux.zytor.com/ris.php describes how to do it on a RIS server rather than a linux box.