1753394 Members
7042 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Solaris x86 on Proliant DL585

James Johnston_1

Solaris x86 on Proliant DL585

Hi,
I've been trying to install Solaris 10 on a proliant DL585 system but solaris cannot see any of the hard drives. I've tried loading the update disk for the smart array 5i controller in the configuration assistant but after exiting the configuration asssistant the system reboots before the kernel finishes loading or locks up with a prom panic. I've also tried loading solaris without the update disk for the controller but solaris doesn't recognise the controller without it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1 REPLY 1
CA1036363
Frequent Advisor

Re: Solaris x86 on Proliant DL585

James,

Solaris 10 (32-Bit) is a supported OS on the DL585. Standard warranty includes 3 years of HP Support (Call 800-633-3600).

You should first check HP's website for possible patches and/or updates for the Smart Array 5i or for Solaris 10 on D585 in general. Here's one possible patches:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/1123_6016.html

Another possible options is to try using the process of elimination. See if you can bypass the smart array controller and connect a single drive to a SCSI Port. Will it load, if so, you can determine that it is the Smart Array controller that's causing you headaches.

Also - you may want to try another media source. If you downloaded the software, burn a copy on CD or download anew. You should also be able to get the software for free from Sun (+ shipping).

Hope this helps.