ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1753918 Members
7618 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: TC2120 CPU Upgrade

TC2120 CPU Upgrade

I have recently upgraded my TC2120 from a Celeron 1.8GHz - 400MHz FSB to a Pentium 4 2.8GHz - 533MHz FSB. For some reason the BIOS only shows the processor as 2100MHz. I have upgraded to the most recent BIOS but the processor is still coming up wrong. What can be done to resolve this. Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES 6
Sean T. Craig
Honored Contributor

Hi Robert,

400MHz is 75% of 533MHz. If you run a 533MHz FSB CPU on a 400MHz FSB system board, you will only get 75% of the speed out of it. 75% of 2800MHz is 2100MHz.

See if there is any place in the BIOS that you can set your FSB to 533MHz. You'll want to make sure that your RAM is also 533MHz otherwise the system will be firing data at it too fast for it to handle.

Hope this clears things up,

Sean T. Craig Sr. C.E.T., M.C.P.

I am King...of my apartment.

Sean,
I will give these option a try tonight. I looked in the BIOS but never found any options to modify the FSB.

I am not very familiar with this mother board. Do you know if there is a jumper or dip switch that has to be modified to enable 533MHz?

Good point about the RAM. I will have to verify if it supports these new settings.

Thanks for your reply. You have pointed me in the right direction.

When I enable the jumper on the motherboard for 533MHz the PC will not post. Any ideas on where to go from hear. Could it be the memory?
Sean T. Craig
Honored Contributor

Hi Robert,

I would definately check the RAM. Check the part number(s) and post them here, we'll look up the specs for you. Another thing you can try; after changing the FSB Jumper, clear the CMOS.

Let us know,

Sean T. Craig Sr. C.E.T., M.C.P.

I am King...of my apartment.

I have removed the old DDR DIMM and installed a new HP certified DDR400(200MHz) DIMM. The machine will not post when the 533MHz switch is enabled. I will attempt to clear the CMOS tonight to as you recommended. Thanks you for your help.

I have cleared the CMOS and enabled the 533MHz switch. The system will still not post. At this point I feel that this particular motherboard may not support 533MHz. Thanks Sean for all your help. If anyone knows of any other tricks or tips I would really appreciate it. I think I may just have to bite the bullet and purchase a new server.