ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1753601 Members
6639 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: UPS for my Proliant ML 370 G5

patrick kerr

UPS for my Proliant ML 370 G5

I currently have an APC 1300 XS attached to the server. When the power is disconnected from the UPS the server fails to stay on.

A printer and monitor (as a test) hooked to it stay on.

The load factor is only being reported as 30% when the server is attached to the UPS. After the server is shut down it will not start until wall power is restored to the UPS. It will not run off the "type" of power that the UPS is supplying.

I have been told there is probably an issue with "step approximted power" the UPS is providing and the "true sine wave" power that the server requires.

If this makes any sense to you please feel free to suggest a replacement UPS. I only need about 15 or 20 minutes of up time on the UPS and nothing but the server and monitor will be connected to it.

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Frank J Kavanagh

I have used "Powerware" UPS for years and I am very happy with their performance.
The way this UPS works is different from the others.
Your Server and Monitor will work off the battery and the battery is constantly recharged.
If you loose power the system runs off the battery without having to change from wall power to battery power(which could possibly fail!)
You can also have a cable connection to the server from the UPS and get all kinds of power reports.
There are many other beneficial features that the UPS has.
They cost a little more but I am sure that once you research it you will find that it is worth it!
Good Luck
Frank
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Patrick,
Also make sure both your server & the UPS is running on the latest firmware revisions.
This have caused issues in the past.

Regards.
Chris Farrah

Patrick, just wondering if you got anywhere. I have the same problem only with (2) ML370G5 - one works and the other shuts off when on battery power from separate but identical APC Back-UPS 1500 RS units. Here's what I've found from APC:

Problem #5: Connected equipment does not accept a stepped-approximated sine wave.
Investigation: This would be the case if only one of the pieces of equipment plugged into the battery backup outlets dropped while the other equipment in the battery backup outlets stay on when the unit transferred to battery power.
Solution: Back-UPS products output a step approximation of a sine wave when the unit is On Battery. While this kind of waveform is ideal for computers and computer-related equipment, it may not be compatible for other types of loads like motor loads. If you are using non-computer loads with one of the above mentioned UPSs, consult the manufacturer's specifications to determine if the equipment can run off of a "stepped wave". If it can't, then it will require a UPS which outputs a pure sine wave when On Battery. APC UPS models which do output a Pure Sine Wave include: Smart-UPS, Matrix-UPS, and the Symmetra Power Array.

And:

Problem #6: The power supply in your equipment is faulty and incapable of handling the transfer time of the Back-UPS product
Investigation: This would be the case if only one of the pieces of equipment plugged into the battery backup outlets rebooted while the other equipment in the battery backup outlets stay on when the unit transferred to battery power.
Solution: Depending on the model of the UPS, the transfer time (time it takes for the unit to transfer from On Line to On Battery) can vary anywhere from 2 milliseconds to 8 milliseconds. Modern computer and computer-related power supplies can "ride through" power outages as long as 10-20 milliseconds. Many, in fact, can last through a 50 millisecond gap in power. If the equipment is rebooting when the Back-UPS product transfers to On Battery operation, this may be the problem. Try to recreate the problem by connecting another device, pull the plug on the UPS (puts it on battery) to see if the new device stays up and running when the UPS goes to Battery. If it does, then its more likely that there is a problem with the power supply of the original piece of equipment. The manufacturer of the equipment will need to be inquired upon for further support in this situation.

I believe my problem to be a power supply issue. I will dig deeper and post my findings...

Source:
http://nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=20&p_created=1000309963&p_sid=ztj7ba*i&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTEmcF9wcm9kcz0wJnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXN0ZXAtYXBwcm94aW1hdGVkIHNpbmUgd2F2ZQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1
Chris Farrah

Just following up...well after the fact.

It indeed had to do with the true sine wave. Switched from APC Back-UPS to APC Smart-UPS (we went with the 1500VA). All is good.