5534 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Upgrade to RAID

SOLVED
Go to solution
CA1348560

Upgrade to RAID

I have a customer who bought a Proliant ML350 but without RAID. A second disk and a Proliant Smart Array 641 controller have been purchased. Does anyone know the process to connect up without losing the OS and data on the original disk?
I tried connecting the original disk to the RAID controller, but nearly had heart failure, as it immediately rewrote the boot track, making the disk unbootable. Eventually I was able to fix the boot track and get the system going again on the original disk controller.
In the process, I discovered that it was impossible to add an IDE disk to the IDE controller and get an OS onto it as a means of assisting any migration, nor could I get the HP USB boot disk idea to work.
I have been building servers and installing software on and off for longer than I care to remember, but this ProLiant seems to be a law unto itself.
Yes - I know that the logical thing to do was to install the RAID before the OS, but I only took this customer on after someone else had installed the OS (without RAID or even a backup tape drive). I had no problems installing RAID and OS in the right order on an identical server for another of my customers.
Any help, references to documents etc gratefully received.
4 REPLIES 4
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Migration from non-Array configuration to array Controller - not possibly with out Backing UP and reinstall or Imagining.

IDE on board designed only for Cd or DVD, along in some system it might give you chance to see HDD, but it might cause major problems and failures.

G1 do not support USB boot disk? What Gen your ML350? If G4 see matrix
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/platforms/usb-support.html

Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

BTW for USB if G4 verify latest Firmware / system ORM
CA1348560

I had begun to suspect that this was the case. Thanks for info on IDE controller - the is the first time I have come across an IDE controller that is "brain damaged".

Quick question on the RAID - is it possible to create the RAID as a mirror but with only one disk; reason for question, in light of above, is that it is pretty well impossible to get an image onto anything but another HP plug-in disk to be sure original is well saved (I don't entirely trust backup tapes as being the only copy).
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor
Solution

Please consider the following:

Install the Smart Array 641, but do not make it the boot controller. Install the Windows driver.

Use Symantec Ghost or Acronis TrueImage to create an image of the C: Drive storing it on a network share.

Install the Smart Array 641 and configure the RAID-1.

Restore the image from the network share to your new RAID-1.

Make the Smart Array 641 the boot controller.

Attempt to boot into Windows. If the system provides a Stop Error 0x0000007B (inaccessible boot device) or hangs, perform a repair using the Windows installation CD and the F6 driver diskette for the Smart Array 641. Reapply service packs, patches, etcetera. Apply the ProLiant Support pack.

Enjoy your new redundant storage!