ProLiant Servers - Netservers

Upgrade to Win serv2003 on Netserver LC2000 u3.

Daniel Frank

Upgrade to Win serv2003 on Netserver LC2000 u3.

Hi,

I have two netserver LC2000 u3, is it possible to upgrade from Win NT4 to Win serv2003 on both these servers. What are the issues that I should take into consideration before moving on. In terms of the netserver hardware components and device driver versions etc...

I would like some feedback from users who have gone through this or anyone who can help.

I'd appreciate you help....

Thanxs.....
1 REPLY 1
Kurt W.G. Matthies

Re: Upgrade to Win serv2003 on Netserver LC2000 u3.

I've been running Windows 2003 server since beta on one of my LC2000s, and I've got 2 installed LC2000s now running with the current server level, SP1 or SP2, I can't remember right now. These LC2000s are both 733Mhz dual PIII systems, each with over 1G of RAM. One of these servers is also running a Netraid-3si card, with a full compliment of (6) hotswap drives. I did maintain dual boot systems for a while, just to be sure all was well, though I haven't booted these servers in Win 2000 or Win NT in a long time. No need to.

I had only one issue, which was non-support of a Netgear 10/100 network card. Once I got rid of that card, all was well and there really hasn't been a problem since.

Note that if you support NT on your network along with 2003, your limited in how you communicate between servers, and in your use of Active Directory with the NT server. AD is differnt than the old domain system in NT...read up on this before commiting to the upgrade. M$ has provided a set of useful help topics called New Ways to Do Familiar Tasks for us NT old-timers. You'll find some of the familiar applets for admin, like User Manager, no longer exist in the newer server versions.

I maintain up-to-date bios levels in my servers (10.36 seems to be the version number that I remember. I'm working from memory), and that helped ease the upgrade, I'm certain. Update first if needed.

Upgrade is simple....run from CD and go. The windows installer loads to disk, reboots, and handles it all. Be sure to upgrade your system to SP1, and the post SP upgrades. Use the Automatic Upgrade service on Windows--much more convenient than NT.

Good luck.