ProLiant Servers - Netservers

Volume Expansion

Umoja Thomas

Volume Expansion

I have replaced (one by one) 4 x 18GB drives with 146GB drives so I have a new array. I would like to now expand so that the array sees the total space, however when I attempt to expand the max that I can extend to is 261116MB. Why cannot I extend to the full amount?

I have attached a snapshot of what it looks like.
3 REPLIES 3
Carlos_61
Valued Contributor

Re: Volume Expansion

you need to rebuild all again, RAID teory says that you change hdd by other the same characteristics, if you change by other bigger you waste the total disk space.
Umoja Thomas

If I rebuild won't I lose all the data stored on the disk? I currently have data on the 4x146GB disk which was rebuilt when I entered one by one.
CA1304768
Occasional Contributor

yes. this process is data destructive, you will need to ensure all existing data is backed up prior to rebuilding the arrays to the new size, then restore everything back afterwards.

You may also need to deal with the underlying OS and how it handles the new space. For example if you had a 4GB OS partition and 12GBs of data in a partition, you would likely restore that and have all the free disk space in unpartioned space, depending on what backup and restore software / method you used, you may have to use seperate tools to manipulate the target partition sizes.