ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1753329 Members
4816 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: W2K3 on a Proliant Server 800

CA1285832

W2K3 on a Proliant Server 800

Does anyone know if it's possible to run Windows 2003 Enterprise Server on a Proliant 800 ? (2 x 400 MHz processors). There a not a lot of cli├лnts to serve, we're running now W2K on this server and it works fantastic.

I'm looking forward for an answer.

Thanks
Ron
4 REPLIES 4
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Ron:

I would expect that you would be able to install WIndows Server 2003 EE since the minimum requirements are met...

P133Mhz, 128MB RAM, etc.

If you can, and you have some extra drives to "test" with... I would say take the drives out of your current system or... if you have a spare system to use... test it out. It should work. You would probably have to do a manual install of Windows 2003 so have your drivers for any Smart Array ready on floppy.

How much Memory is in the server?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Most of older 800 1200 1600 will take 2003 ├в only one problem you might hit in to, Video driver from 2003 CD and resolution will stay low, take one spare HDD and simulate install for operation environment
CA1285832

Steven,

I knew that the system requirements are at least 133 MHz with 128 Mb of RAM, but I must be sure the system will work. Minimum requirements are no guarantee for a good oiled system.
We have indeed extra disk space and I going to start the installation with the CD-Rom witch is delivered with the server, but on this CD there├в s only a choice to make between NT 4.0 or Windows 2000. And yes there├в s 512 Mb of RAM on board, so that will be enough.

Thanks for your reply.

Greetings

Ron
Mark Mirkos

Hello, I have 2003 server running on my Proliant 800. the main issue was a work around for the mouse and key board Locking up. and win2003 freezing on the loading screen.

After i configured the sys. I loaded 2003 with a bootable CD from microsoft website, with the 2003 trial vers.. after the sys. rebooted. you will need use f-9, select win frame , thne select 3.5 NT. then the sys. will run NP.

I also needed to load the win2000 ethernet driver. manualy. for the on board ethernet. I found this driver at drivers.com. win2003 has no driver for this card.

Make sure you have the configuration utility on the hard disk, before loading windows 2003. you will need to partion the disk with a small area for this Utility. and it needs to be on the Hard drive first.

Hope that helps, all I can say is that win 2003 media server and Proliant 800 are a good match for what im serving. you can log onto my server here. im running IIS 2.0 with .asp upload scrip. also a ftp, READ only for .asp uploads. I allow others to upload files to my server. and also view the uploaded files on ftp..

http://www.spunoneproductions.com/