ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1752794 Members
6064 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

WinPE 2.1 and iLO drivers (HPONCFG.EXE wont work)

Curtis Scholl

WinPE 2.1 and iLO drivers (HPONCFG.EXE wont work)

Hello Group!

I have a RDP 3.8 server that creates/generates a WinPE2.1 cd's and pxe boot files. The Problem is the base configuration will not run the hponcfg.exe when it is loaded as a job from RDP.

The older WinPE 1.6 (server 2003 based) ran the HPONCFG.EXE right off. I went to the HP Web site and got the latest HPONCFG.EXE which was made for the Win2008 server.

The HPONCFG says it can not read the iLO because the drivers aren't loaded or 3 other potential issues.

The only driver in the WinPE drivers list is the cpqcidrv.sys. I do not see a hpqilo2.sys in the drivers list and can not seem to get the proper install when I want to install it as a "Have Disk" option.

What can I do here? Has anyone else done this?

Curtis Scholl
2 REPLIES 2
Jeff Alexander_
Occasional Contributor

Re: WinPE 2.1 and iLO drivers (HPONCFG.EXE wont work)

I am having the same problem. I have tried WinPE 2.0, WinPE 2.1, and WinPE 3.0 along with versions 1.9, 2.0 and 2.1 of the Smartstart Scripting Toolkit.

I can not use an earlier version of WinPE as my scripts need the write cspability of the RAM drive.

From everything I have read, HPONCFG.EXE should work within WinPE but I get the same error that Curtis mentions.

Actually I didn't even get that far until I manually copied over the file CPQSMIF.DLL. I would have thought that the installation of the Scripting Toolkit would have taken care of that.

I am hoping someone out there has figured this out.
Jeff Alexander_
Occasional Contributor

Re: WinPE 2.1 and iLO drivers (HPONCFG.EXE wont work)

Ok, looks like I figured this out. I have spent days on this and now that I posted in a forum, I figure it out.

The solution is here: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=332359&prodTypeId=18964&objectID=c01475080

I just executed cpqsetup.exe /s /f once WinPE was booted and it installed the driver and HPONCFG.EXE started working.

For a known issue, this sure was hard to track down. I hope this is fixed in the next version of the scripting toolkit.