5028 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Windows 2003 SP1 SNMP Errors

BR823745
Advisor

Windows 2003 SP1 SNMP Errors

Hi,

I have install a new HP ProLiant DL360 G4 server. This server is a DC and not much else. In the event log there are two errors, both regarding SNMP.

System, ID 7034 Source: Service Control Manger, describtion: SNMP Service Terminated Unexpectely.

Application, ID 1000 Soure: Application Error, describtion: Faulting application SNMP.

I have searched EventID.net, Microsoft site, Google groups etc. and have not found anything that has fixed my error.

I have reinstaled SNMP, HP Tools, IIS and Service Pack 1 but nothing will make this error go away.

Can anyone please help.
14 REPLIES 14
BR823745
Advisor

Can anyone help me?
BR823745
Advisor

Just a quick update,

This is the full error in the application log:

Faulting application snmp.exe, version 5.2.3790.1830, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.2.3790.1830, fault address 0x00015dea.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? I've searched for a update to Microsoft SNMP but have not found anything.
CA1276375

Alistair,

Have you managed to fix the issue with SNMP, as I seem to have had the same issue pop up with a Proliant ML370 G2, the server was a fresh install using win 2003 std, smartstart 7.20 and then updating all the driver to the latest version, no problems, install SP1 for 2003 and arcserve backup, problem started.

Unfortunatly I was doing a few things at the same time so was unable to specifically make a note of it been either SP1 or arcserve(Arcserve came up with SNMP error during install, also it isn't yet supported by SP1 yet which I found out later).

I am assuming the issue is caused by SP1 as I uninstall Arcserve and SP1 and problem is still there. Next step is going to have to be a reinstall and check to see if it is SP1 that causes the problem, like yourself I haven't found any reference to this yet.

The only difference between your error and mine is version number and fault address.

Faulting application snmp.exe, version 5.2.3790.0, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.2.3790.0, fault address 0x000249d3.

Sorry I can't help you with the problem. Let me know if you manage to sort something out.
BR823745
Advisor

Hi,

I have sort of solved my problem.

What I tracked the problem down to is SUS, which was installed on this server.

To fix it I uninstalled SUS, uninstalled SNMP Protocol, Reinstalled SP1 and then reinstalled the SNMP Protocol.

This has been working correctly for just over a week. I have moved SUS to another server with out any problems.

The SNMP version number you described is pre SP1, as I have checked this against a pre SP1 Windows 2003 Server, I would reinstall SP1 on your Server and see if the problems are gone, you may require more than one reboot before you can give the all clear.

Please let me know how you get on.
CA1279428

I also am having this error on a new HP 370. I can attest that I had this error on a clean Windows 2003 install and PRIOR to installing SP1. I tried installing SP1 and hoped it would correct the issue but no luck. I do not have SUS running on this box but I do have Exchange 2003 sp1 running on it. I am beginning to suspect there is some link with IIS, since the only common thread would be SUS and Exchange 2003 both require IIS. I will let you know what I find.
CA1276375

Hi,

I have a funny feeling the issue isn't IIS as my configuration didn't have it installed at all, I have also checked to make certain that it still isn't installed currently by chance. Like you I had a fresh install of windows 2003. The only thing that were installed are MS SQL 2000 no problems with SNMP when rebooting, update all HP drivers, No problems after reboot. Install Arc serve backup (This requires the SNMP service to be stopped) and install SP1 (Did this at the same time, should have done them separately), reboot and the problem appears, remove SP1, remove arc serve, problem still there. Uninstall SNMP reinstall SNMP, problem still there. I haven't done the uninstall SNMP; upgrade to SP1 and then reinstall SNMP as the arc serve app doesn't yet support SP1.

My hassle is my machine is a temp machine so I can afford to not have SNMP working correctly, I am therefore not spending as much time trying to fix the issue, I am waiting to get SP1 approval for arc serve product the I can try the solution suggested earlier.

I have seen references the same errors I was getting for a hot fix for SNMP but this seems to have something to do with exchange causing it, not the same as my configuration, but they might all be related. You need to contact Microsoft for the fix. I don't have any more info regarding this hot fix, will have to look for it again.

Regards
BR875011

Hi,

I have a proliant ml350g3, with Windows 2003 Standard Edition and ArcServe 11.
After the installation of win2k3 sp1 i got the same problem.

Application, ID 1000 Soure: Application Error, describtion: Faulting application SNMP.

i have reinstalled the snmp service, but without success.

Mike Carmody

I had a similar experience. Windows 2003 SP1 SNMP stayed between 8-20% CPU unitlization all the time. On one server I could not restart SNMP and received the same error as Alastair. These were not HP servers but IBM. I took Alastairs suggestion. I removed SNMP completely. Rebooted. Re-applied Windows 2003 SP1. Rebooted. Installed and configured SNMP. All services started and stayed at 0% CPU utilization. I rebooted just for measure and again all is well. Thanks!
John Draggi

I had the same problem with my server running Microsoft Windows 2003 Enterprise Edt.

I attempted some testing and think that it has something to do with the updates in SP1 that don't update the dependencies as well as the service correctly.

The reason is that I disabled the service, reinstalled SP1 and restarted. After the restart I enabled the SNMP service and started it to find that it worked until reboot.

Once I rebooted the server I found that the same error existed but I was now able to stop and start the service and it would work fine.

Last step was uninstalled SNMP service, rebooted... and reinstalled SNMP service and rebooted.

All is well... so basically SP1 failed to update the SNMP service properly as well as adjust the dependencies associated however the un-installation and re-installation fixed the problem.

At this point I can not test the senerio of a simple uninstall and reinstall of the SNMP however would imagine that would also fix the problem without having to reapply SP1.

Thanks,
John