ProLiant Servers - Netservers

Windows 2003 Server Reboot

kwilke
Advisor

Windows 2003 Server Reboot

Hello all,
I need some help and the HP tech support is having me run in circles. Here is the problem:
I have two of the HP Proliant 350 GP4 servers that are identical (were bought on the same day). We will call them server A and server B. Server A is having a problem of when it gets to the initial Windows 2003 splash screen that it reboots itself.
To make sure that it was NOT an OPERATING SYSTEM issue, I took the two hard drives out of server A and put them into server B and then put the two original hard drives from server B to server A. If it was the OS, then server B should be rebooting. Nope, server A is still rebooting (all the time). Server B is completely and totally functional.
I took all PCI cards out of server A, so that the server just has a keyboard, mouse, VGA, and power cable attached to it, to test and the server always reboots itself about 3 seconds into the Windows 2003 splash screen. I called HP and they had me run the diagnostics, which passed, and then had me run complete diagnostics, which it is doing now.
The tech said three things that I am disputing, which are that everything is fine since the diagnostics passed, that I need to upgrade the firmware on all PCI cards to fix the problem, and that everything is being tested on the diagnostics.
1) I know, after being in this business for 22 years, that hardware could become marginal and pass diagnostics but when put into production it fails.
2) The PCI cards have no bearing on the issue since I took them all out and it is still rebooting.
3) On the diagnostics, it is testing parts of the motherboard, but I do not see anywhere where it test the onboard network card, the keyboard port, mouse port, or VGA port.
I have looked over most of the motherboard and have found one capacitor that is partly bulging.
I told this to the tech and he says this is normal (which I know is garbage...if you say that to Dell they send you a replacement motherboard with no questions asked).
How can I get the tech person to see that the motherboard is having an issue?
Any help on this would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kelly
2 REPLIES 2
kwilke
Advisor

Re: Windows 2003 Server Reboot

One thing I forgot. On the front of the ML350 GP4 server are five lights. The left one is the ILO light and it is off and all the rest are on and they are green.
Thanks,
Kelly
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

Re: Windows 2003 Server Reboot

No hardware diagnostic will find all problems, but as you're seeing it tests for the most commonly failed items.

If you see a bulging capacitor, insist on a system board replacement. Otherwise reseat all the cables, DIMM's, CPU's, cards, etcetera, and try it again.