ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1753875 Members
7428 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Windows 2003 server issues (reboots randomly)

hometownnerd

Windows 2003 server issues (reboots randomly)

I have a new DL380 G5 server and have begun to have issues within windows 2003. I am getting random reboots and can not place my finger on the issue. Where can I look to find what is leading up to the reboot? I am looking in the event viewer but see nothing that would lead me to understand what happened to cause it.

Please give me some insight into finding this issue,

Thanks,
Larry
7 REPLIES 7
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

In the SMH (HP System Management Homepage), you should see a Logs tab. Click that and open the IML (Integrated Management Log). It may give some clues as to why the server is rebooting.

Anything in the IML?
hometownnerd

I went in to check what you told me in the IML, which I had never been to before, thanks for showing it to me!! It only showed "HP Version Control Agent Log" and "System Management Homepage Log". How can I set it to record the log files that will help me?

Thanks for your help,
Larry
hometownnerd

I think I found what you were talking about.....I was looking in the wrong place. I do see some Blue Screen Traps, so now to find out what they mean. I also have some POST Errors: 1787-Drive array operating in Interim Recovery Mode, what are they telling me? Is that a bad thing? The Blue Screen Traps are stop: 0x000000D1, does that tell me anything? I will be looking that up on google now, but thought I would ask anyway.

Thanks again for your help,
Larry
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

Is the DL380 G5 running WS03 Service Pack 1?

Does the event entry reference a driver that caused the Stop: 0x000000D1?

The 'Interim Recovery Mode' generally means that an array disk has failed or is failing.
hometownnerd

I am installing both SPs now, as I saw that may address the issue. Looking in the event log I did see some shadow volume errors as well. Thanks for getting me in the right direction!!

About the drive failing, this server is a month old, should I wait until the SPs are installed and then see if the error ceases to begin looking into that?

I would hate to have a drive fail already!

Thanks again,
Larry
hometownnerd

Ok, both SPs are now installed and when I installed them I actually went and visited with the server, when it was rebooting one of the drives had an amber light on and the server yelled at me that it needed to have autorecovery on which I did, now I am just waiting to make sure the problem is gone. I did get an error on boot saying one or more services failed to start, checking the event log I see that startdss is the culprit. Is there anything I can do to help that problem?

Thanks again for your help,
Larry
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

If the drive LED is amber it should be replaced as soon as possible.

I'm not familiar with Startdss.

After you replace the drive, please consider installing the PSP (ProLiant Support Pack) for hardware monitoring, configuration, and diagnostics.

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/26961.html