1752782 Members
6019 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Windows 8.1 does not recognize disks...

dbrown74
Occasional Visitor

Windows 8.1 does not recognize disks...

I am trying to install Windows 8.1 on an SSD in ODD bay with 2 x 3 TB disks acting as individual separate RAID 0 logical drives. (I intend to use StableBit Drive Pool.)

I first created a RAID 0 logical drive for the SSD, and have successfully installed Windows 8.1.

Then, I installed the 2 x 3 TB disks in bay 1 and bay 2 as separate RAID 0 logical drives.

B120i lists the 3 logical drives during boot. However, Windows 8.1 does not recognize the 2 x 3 TB disks when I boot into the system.

Any advice to help me configure the 2 x 3 TB disks would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: Windows 8.1 does not recognize disks...

If your not actually going to create a RIAD set wth multiple drives, you're better off disabling B120i RAID mode and set the controller to AHCI SATA. The B120i RAID controller is chipset SATA RAID. The RAID functionality is in the driver. There is nothing to gain by setting up 3 individual logical drives in RAID mode

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
dbrown74
Occasional Visitor

@Jimmy Vance wrote:

If your not actually going to create a RIAD set wth multiple drives, you're better off disabling B120i RAID mode and set the controller to AHCI SATA. The B120i RAID controller is chipset SATA RAID. The RAID functionality is in the driver. There is nothing to gain by setting up 3 individual logical drives in RAID mode

If you put the B120i in AHCI SATA, you cannot boot from the SSD in ODD bay. (Unless you are willing to do the Windows 8.1 equivalent of sudo grub-install /dev/sdX; sudo update-grub on your MicroSD or USB key.)

This is on a MS Gen 8, and I will shortly add 2 x 3 TB disks in bay 4 and bay 4.

Thank anyways.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Those were some important details missing from the original post, good luck.   You might get the Windows 2008 or 2012  driver to work with Windows 8

You might also check over on the homeserver forum as there are many people there customising the Gen8 Microserver

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!