ProLiant Servers - Netservers

Yet another 6500 no boot situation.

mike_1042

Yet another 6500 no boot situation.

So here goes.

System will boot just dandy, then I open the case, remove CPU #3 and all fans, put them all back in.

No interlock lights come on, I put back the top cover and screw everything down.

Now when I plug it in and hit the power button, all the lights blink quickly, then all turn off.

No POST, BIOS or anything.

The LCD just says something like "BIOS 1.9" etc.

I have tried every archane trick that I have found on these forums.(IE unpluging everything, dancing around it, letting it sit for a day or two)

The real problem is that I have some critical data sitting on a ext3 partition on the RAID 5, and I can't get to it.

It's 4x500 with 3GB ram and all bays filled with 9.1GB drives.

::cries::
4 REPLIES 4
Thomas Bianco
Honored Contributor

Re: Yet another 6500 no boot situation.

it's not going to boot with an odd number of processors. most of the old multiprocessor machines required blanks if you had less then a full complelemt, and even then required 1, 2 or 4 processors, in very specific configurations.

if i'm reading this wrong, and you actually have all four processors, then it's highly likley one isn't seated propery, youve said you removed everything and reseated it, but it's probably a good idea to do it again.

other things to try: boot with 3 empty sockets, or 3 blanks if you have them. if this changed the beheviour, then you probably have a bad processor. static can be a killer

IMPORTANT: DON'T MESS WITH THE RAID. seriously, the raid has a seperate processor, and can decide the arrays are failed without input from the cpu, so if you have to mess with the disks be CERTAIN you remove the raid card from the PCI bus.
There have been Innumerable people who have helped me. Of course, I've managed to piss most of them off.
mike_1042

Ok, I will re-set everything.

The only thing I have done to the array is pull all the drives out and number them.

I have another 6500 server that is the same except with 2 CPUS and 2GB of ram.

So if I were to recover my data should I?

Pull the old raid card and put it in the new one?

Just put the drives into my other 6500, because they both have the same RAID card?

I thought that the RAID partation data was held on the drives, not the card; Hence why I pulled them to put them into my other 6500.

Thanks for your reply.
Thomas Bianco
Honored Contributor

in theory, you should be able to insert the drives into the other server in the same order and boot cleanly. NT should recover seamlessly.

since you have a second server that boots, you can steal parts from it to check the processors.
There have been Innumerable people who have helped me. Of course, I've managed to piss most of them off.
mike_1042

Thanks. I will keep you posted.

Seems these 6500 no-boot situations are quite the PINA.