ProLiant Servers - Netservers

can't install win 2k on netserver lh pro

gilles mongeon

can't install win 2k on netserver lh pro

i have a net server lh pro and i have a rade of 3 2 gig scsi drives and i want to put 2 80 gig drives in but it wont let me instal or boot the pc when the drives are all in.. i want to know if its posible to have it, or the net server dose not suport the 80 gig's. windows finds the 80 gig's but when its done instaling the drivers and windows has to reboot it dosint go to the instal part it just sayes that its missing the boot files and just sits there.

what can i do to fix this or should i just not bothere whit it

gilles
6 REPLIES 6
CA847690
Advisor

Re: can't install win 2k on netserver lh pro

The largets drive I have heard of anybody installing in the LH Pro is 18gb. The doc indicates that the largest is 9gb. You also may have to make sure that your boot, or system, partition is no larger than 2gb. Make sure you have the latest and greatest bios upgrade installed. You can get it from the HP web site. I have win 2k on an LD Pro 6/200, which is a scaled down LH Pro with less total drive capacity, and it runs just fine. As a side note, the on-board video card will only give you the lowest resolution because there are no drivers for that video card.
Hope this helps and good luck.
John
gilles mongeon

thanks but its that i have the 2 80 gig's on the ide chanel and i want to instal the os on the scsi drives i have 3 in a net rade and when its done formating and instaling the files that it needs it reboots and then when it should start the instal proses it restarts the hole instal as if i never did in the first place.. it say's that the ntdlr file is mising... im prety shure that the file get instal on the 80 gig and i dont want them to..
i was wondering if i can change the boot order so it go's scsi then ide. but i havint found that ops in the bios..
CA660377
Honored Contributor

1) IDE is not supported on thie server.

2) IDE has higher boot priority than SCSI, so you will never get the system to boot to the SCSI drive.

3) The BIOS on an LH Pro probably only recognizes 8GB on IDE devices, You're losing 72GB per drive.
David_223
Regular Advisor

You could try putting in a PCI IDE card, if you buy a new one at a store, it should be able to support the 80gb hard drives, then just disable the internal ide controller.
CA722193

I'm assuming that you are installing W2K OS using the CD only. Create the 4 boot disks and use these to start the installation and you shouldn't have any problems.

I doubt very much that this server supports the new model drives. As mentioned by someone already, putting in a new PCI IDE controller that does support these bigger drives is recommended.

Robert Daoust
CA722193

I'm assuming that you are installing W2K OS using the CD only. Create the 4 boot disks and use these to start the installation and you shouldn't have any problems.
I would also recommend installing the IDE drives after you have succesfully installed the OS.

I doubt very much that this server supports the new model drives. As mentioned by someone already, putting in a new PCI IDE controller that does support these bigger drives is recommended.

Robert Daoust