ProLiant Servers - Netservers

compaq proliant ML370

maverick_5

compaq proliant ML370

server at this company had the problem where its cannot working although reboot for many times. i saw only the arrow the light appear but the cylinder not show any signal light beep. normally, when the server is working well, the cylender is light and beep but at this server, its not happened. one more, i'm tried to setup using the cd Windows 2000 server, but the problem is...it said....'cannot detect the hard disk', although the hardisk is already there...i hope u can advice to me..thank you.
3 REPLIES 3
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Re: compaq proliant ML370

Hi,

could you please provide more information?
What disk controller are you using (e.g. Smart Array 431, Integrated Smart Array Controller)?
If you are doing a new install on the server, I would recommend you use the SmartStart CD (version 5.50) to help install the OS. If you don't have one, you can download an ISO image from here:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/subscription/ssdownloads_ss550.html

Regards,
Stephen
maverick_5

this server using the Smart Array controller (Compaq Smart Array 5300 slot 3, Direct Attached Storage) and raid 5.
actually, OS for this server is Windows 2000 family and had the customer data in this server(i call it database server). so, at here, the problem is when the server start, the message

'Non system disk or disk error,
replace and strike any key when ready' although there is not disket A in drive floppy.

when i insert the CD SmartStart, the message is 3 selection:
1. guided hadware configuration - guided preinstallation Interview - software installation
2. choose replication - system specification - duplicate system configuration
3. run sys. utility - manually configure hardware - manually install software

at here, can u give the instruction, which selection i have choose it and the way to solve this server problem. i hope , the customer data can be save and OS can be running as normally.
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi,

it looks like the controller cannot find any data on the disks. What does the Array controller report during POST - it should say "Number of Logical drives: x" after initialising. Go into the F8 setup of the array controller: What can you see when you "View Logical Drive"?
If there is customer data on it I would not re-install using SmartStart yet, as it will wipe the disks. First you should find out what happened to the existing installation.

If you do use SmartStart to reinstall it, select option 1 (Guided). It will ask you for a Server Profile Diskette. You can easily create one by getting a blank floppy disk, and create an empty text file called spd.ini on it.
Then you can configure all options, setup the array, choose the OS, etc. (Windows 2000 is supported).

Regards,
Stephen