1751894 Members
5353 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: help...need a PPM

Mark Pilkinton
Occasional Contributor

help...need a PPM

I just picked up a used Proliant 800 server with one PII-450 CPU. I have an old Intell PII 450 CPU and want to add it in the second slot on the Proliant server. I see that there is a PPM next to the CPU that is installed and I assume I will need one for the second CPU. There is a decal with the number 49075 on the PPM. I tried to look for that part number at the HP Parts Store, but no luck. I also need the screws for the hard drive mount. Any idea what part numbers I need?
4 REPLIES 4
CA859951
Honored Contributor

Mark:

You need Spare Part Number 327660-001;
this part, here:
http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/showphoto?partnumber=327660-001

You may be able to get it from a third party (internet or ebay) as HP no longer shows them in stock.

Hope this helps! -john
"Now is the only thing that's real!"
Kusuma
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Mark,

It is difficult for forum members to backtrack to the original query, if you start a new thread. The best practice is to respond in the single thread, which makes others apply their thoughts and help you to get the answer quickly. I have posted your contents here to maintain continuity.

- Kusuma

----------------------------------------------------------
Mark's reply on Feb 2, 2005 22:28:32 GMT
----------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for your reply John, I noticed another post that had info on the same item and they listed two different part numbers (327660-001 and 329267-001). One being the same as what you posted and the second looks just like what I have on the first CPU. I have a couple questions you may have an answer for; the part number that you sent├Г┬в├В ├В┬жis it what I need for a second processor or should each PPM be the same? This is a link to the part that is just like the one I have
http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/showphoto?partnumber=329267-001

Both seem to be available at partsufer, but I'm not sure about this site, but it looks to be a European HP site, is this the case? There are many part numbers for the Proliant 800 model servers, but I do not see the PN I have (320969-001) listed. I guess the PPM will be the same as long as it has the same specs
Mark Pilkinton
Occasional Contributor

I also want to know what is the most I can get out of this mother board? It looked as if 450MHz was as far as it could go on CPU speed. Is there any way I can make it faster? I am sure there are bios upgrades since this one was purchased, but don't know if it will give the option to install larger CPU's and if so, where I can get my hands on a slot one PIII 800 or 1GHz CPU.

Thanks,
Mark
CA859951
Honored Contributor

Mark:

The ProLiant 800 was, prior to its retirement, made with a PIII 600MHz processor. That said, it was a completely diferent mainboard and other components. You would have to basically build a new box.

Since Intel did not release the 500MHz PII processor, you cannot use the mainboard to run anything higher than the 450MHz you already have. It is listed as a 350e to 500MHz PII.

SW1 Settings:
Speed 1 2 3 4
300 ON ON OFF ON
350 ON ON OFF OFF
400 ON OFF ON ON
450 ON OFF ON OFF
500 ON OFF OFF ON

http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_313656-001_ch4/TPM_313656-001_ch4.pdf

hope this helps! -john
"Now is the only thing that's real!"