1752843 Members
3568 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: installation problem on dl380

CA1257597
Occasional Contributor

installation problem on dl380

I intend to install RHEL 4 U3 (x86 version) on a DL 380 with 256 MB and some hard drives, however during the installation the drives are not found; do i have to run smart start first, and if so where can I get download it from
5 REPLIES 5
sgunelius
Trusted Contributor

The CDs can be downloaded from the following location:

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/subscription/PSM_subscription.html

Scott
Chris Rosan
Valued Contributor

You need to use either Smartstart or the rom based array controller setup to configure the partitions. Redhat automatically detects the drives when it boot the installation media.

HP Smartstart doesn't offer assisted installation for Linux systems. You have to install the OS first, then manually install the PSP after the OS is installed.

I've installed linux on plenty of proliants using this method, but I usually use the Smartstart array config utility.
Chris Rosan
Valued Contributor

Also, ensure that the smart array controller is the primary boot device in the bios...
CA1257597
Occasional Contributor

SmartStart 7.51 reports " ACU did not detect any supported controller", "boot controller unknown device"; after adding a 5300 scsi controller SmartStart correctly detected it. The latter indicates that Smart Start worked correctly and that tere may be a hardware problem with the integrated sa controller ?
Chris Rosan
Valued Contributor

It sounds that way. Is the machine new or under warranty?

SA53xx will work, but this card from memory is only U160 so the throughput won't be as good as the onboard, if it's a new server (G3 or G4 or G5).