1752278 Members
4631 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

ipmi on dl 145 g2

Phil Cassaro

ipmi on dl 145 g2

I am trying to configure sol (serial over lan) on a dl 145 g2 server using ipmi. I am able to connect remotely with ipmitool and use power commands, user commands, etc. However when I try any (I really mean 'any') sol commands remotely, I get insufficient privilege level error. If I try the sol commands (again, I mean any) locally on the server, I get 'Invalid command' errors.
As far as I can tell, the admin account has administrator privileges, so I'm not sure why I would be getting insufficient privileges errors.
I tried setting user priv commands to be sure about privileges, but whenever I issue the 'user priv 3 4' command, the LO100 hangs and is unreachable (not even pingable) for about 30 minutes or so, then comes back. Whether or not I reset the machine or not has no effect on how long it take for bmc to come back.

Anyone have any ideas what needs to be done to this. I have latest firmware. I considered downgrading and re upgrading firmware to see if it might clear some funky settings, but I don't have access to a windows machine or a floppy drive to perform any system upgrades on this server. All firmware and updates for dl 145 g2 I could find are windows / dos exe files that require a floppy drive. All systems at my disposal are linux.