New Discussion юеВ

Re: maximum disk size on a N54L Proliant server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Charles-Andre Belanger
Occasional Contributor

maximum disk size on a N54L Proliant server

Hello community!

I'm looking for the maximum disk size the HP Proliant N54l is supporting. (with Windows 2011 Home server install)

thanks for your help

8 REPLIES 8
PGTRI
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi,

Please check the quickspecs of the server:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=c04111672

Internal Drive Support:
o 4 Internal HDD Support
o Maximum internal SATA storage capacity of up to 8.0TB (4 x 2TB 3.5" SATA drives)

Thanks

regards,

How to Say Thank You? Just click the KUDOS!
mrvn

Except the specs seem to be wrong (probably because at the time of writing 2TB disks where the largest).

I have no problems with 3TB disks and 4TB disks in the cold swap bays, instead of an optical drive or on the eSATA port under Linux. Although reportedly you need UEFI to boot from 4TB disks, I boot from usb so can't confirm.

6TB disks seem to work on the cold swap bays and the eSATA port but NOT instead of an optical drive for some strange reason.

So maximum (unsupported?) disk size is:

4x 6TB cold swap bays

1x 6TB eSATA

1x 4TB optical drive bay

----------------------------

34 TB

Herlitz
Occasional Visitor

The N54L can run disks bigger than 2TB but you cannot set up RAID for bigger disks than 2TB. If you plan on using larger disks and set up raid you'll have to rely on software raid.

braksator

I am running 4x4TB drives... 16TB total.   So your answer is wrong mate.

braksator

Unless you've tested cold swap with hard drives larger than the answer you're giving and can demonstrate that they don't work - e.g 8TB hard drive.  Then I don't think you can give 6TB as an answer.

Tobias_Claren

As RAID1?
Is it possible to use 2x 6TB HDD as a RAID1?
What is the maximum?

Eric Robert Lewis, Ph.
Occasional Visitor

I am running 4 x 4 TB hard drives using Windows 2012r2 Server Raid for many years.  Even so I am getting low on space and ready to upgrade to 4 x 8TB.  Are there any size limits built into the server BIOS/hardware/firmware etc.?   Somewhere HP must have a number written down.  I see others have success with 6 TB drives.  Today max size drives go way up from there.

Eric Robert Lewis, Ph.
Occasional Visitor

I don't know if it is possible but ... Is there software that can determine architectural limits for disk size for a particular motherboard?  Maximum disk sizes keep growing and show no signs of slowing down any time soon so there is a need for this, I believe.