5915 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: no bootable drive configured in this system

SOLVED
Go to solution
CA1227430

no bootable drive configured in this system

I just got 2 brand-new ML370 servers out of the box. Both have 3 147G drives in a RAID array. When I boot one with SmartStart, it gives me a message "No bootable drives configured in this system". The other one is fine. On the problem server, I can configure the array and see the drives, but I cannot load an operating system on it. I even tried deleting the logical drive and re-creating it, but same problem. I updated the firmware, no difference.
7 REPLIES 7
Chris Rosan
Valued Contributor
Solution

Is the smart array controller set as the primary boot device? Does this happen when you use the assisted installation, or just when you're loading smartstart?

What O/S are you trying to load?
CA1227430

Trying to load Windows 2003, but it doesn't really matter because I don't get that far!

Vendor is getting me a new RAID controller card today and we'll see if that's the problem. I had a brand-new server in March that did the same thing and a new RAID controller fixed it. Just lucky, I guess!

If I boot from the Windows 2003 CD, I eventually get "no hard drives"

CA1227430

I just checked that the RAID controller was the primary boot device and it wasn't. I made it number 1 and it works!!

THANKS!!
Chris Rosan
Valued Contributor

Joy,

No problems. Make sure you install using the assisted installation. I've had problems with systems before when I didn't use it, and ended up re-installing from scratch using smartstart and didn't have the same issues.
CA1227430

by 'assisted install', do you mean booting from the SmartStart CD and choosing 'deploy server'?

That's what I did and so far, so good.

thanks for your help.
FWilliams

Joy,

I have the same problem with a pair new DL320 G4 servers. "There is no bootable drive configured on this system" when using a SmartStart assisted installation.

You mentioned that setting the RAID Controller to be the primary boot device solved your problem.

How do you set the RAID Controller to be the primary boot device?

Many thanks,

Frank Williams
Cisco Systems
CA1227430

As I recall, it was set in the BIOS.