ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1752577 Members
4586 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

"Fail" on RAID 0 drive hot swap attempt

Dave Hale

"Fail" on RAID 0 drive hot swap attempt

Upon attempting to pull a working 36gb SCSI RAID 0 drive from a running Netserver LP 2000r, the alarm sounded and the drive light went red. I plugged it back in with no change.
After warm boot and running NetRAID, the drive is labled "Fail," regardless of drive in or pulled (empty slot). I tried entire sequence again with different working drive with no change.
I tried powering down and unplugging server for an hour or so, then trying again ... no change. All other five drives "online" and working fine. I had to disable alarm to remain sane.
Suggestions please!
3 REPLIES 3
Arian van der Pijl
Regular Advisor

Re: "Fail" on RAID 0 drive hot swap attempt

Upon attempting to pull a working 36gb SCSI RAID 0 drive from a running Netserver LP 2000r, the alarm sounded and the drive light went red.

My guess is that this action broke your Raid0 striping set.
And because Raid0 is not fault tolerant due to it's nature you are stuck with a broken array.

I think the controller detected a failure and it's implementation of raid0 striping says that the array is now broken due to a interruption even the disk could be ok.

Hopefully there is a way to force this disk back into it's original raid0 config.

If that is not possible your array cannot be repaired most likely and you will have to restore the data from a last backup.
Dave Hale

The controller continues to report that the drive in the slot is "Fail," even though there is none there.
How do I "reset" the controller, so that it knows that there is no drive in the slot?
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

My guess is that you'll need to delete and recreate the array.