ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1752790 Members
6513 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: upgrading from 360g3 to 380g3

Trevor_46

upgrading from 360g3 to 380g3

I was wondering if it was possible to put one of the disks from a dl360 G3 (raid0+1) into a dl380 G3 and rebuild the array with another spare and then boot the machine as normal?

Has anybody successfully done this before?

Thanks,
Trevor
4 REPLIES 4
amhakassa
Honored Contributor

Hi Trever,

Yes you can manage to do so, as follows
(I am assuming the DL380 server is empty at this point)

1. Take one of the drive from DL360 and put it in to Dl380 and boot the server
2. You will get a post error message that notifies a missing member. Just press F1 to continue and see if you can boot the OS
3. Power down server and pop in the slot where the missing drive is reported on post earlier and this time Press F2 when prompted so the a rebuild can be started

Regards
Amha Kassa
Trevor_46

Thanks for the input but that doesn't seem to be working.

I am pulling a disk from a DL360 G3 (slot 1) and putting it in a DL380 G3 (slot 1).

I can then boot to the OS no problem with the single disk and it does alarm that the array has been broken and to "Replace scsi port 1: scsi id 0" and I hit F1.

Then I power down, put a known good spare in slot 0 and power on and it doesn't recognize the spare and never prompts for rebuild. Using the SmartStart disk I can see that it is loading the spare into "Port 2: scsi id0". How do I make it "Port 1" where it's trying to detect it?

I am attaching the ADU inspection report so you can see what I am talking about.

Hi Trevor,

You'll have to move both discs frrom DL360 to DL380. Both discs have to be inserted in the same previous slot to allow the DL380 Smartarray recognize them and change the SCSI Channel accordingly and maintaind the RAID1 configuration.

I would also advise you to previously obtain a mirrored dl360 disk, to have the chance to recover your server.
Trevor_46

I got it to work for those that are interested and it did not require to move both disks.

The problem was that the scsi configuration was cabled on the back plane to port 2 (default I guess cause all our servers are like this) and I needed to change it to port 1.

Once I moved the cable, the controller then recognized the spare disk on port 1 and rebuilt the raid (1) with no problems.

Thanks everyone for your help.