New Discussion юеВ

Re: winnt recovery on a netserver lh3000

SOLVED
Go to solution
BR772091
Advisor

winnt recovery on a netserver lh3000

Hi there,

I have a corrupted NT4.0 installationt on a LH3000r Netserver, Raid5 on embedded raid controller. The message says
"the following file is missing or corrupted
... \system\last good known menu"
and it advise to boot to nt cdrom option "r".

first, I booted to NT CD and pressed r, then "s" to specify Netraid driver from the drivers floppy. Next message was "no hard drives found"

second, I booted to NT install floppies and pressed s to skip mass storage detection and s again to specify Netraid driver and CDRom driver. Message was to provide a System REcovery disk - which I dont have - otherwise saying there's no NT installation to repair found.

What is the way to recover this system rather then install it anew?

3 REPLIES 3
Chris Moran
Advisor
Solution

Sounds like some (or all) of the registry data under %WINDIR%\System32\Config is corrupt.

Best way to work around that is to try and do a PARALLEL install. If you have a second partition, you can install to that and then access the data on the system that way.

Also, try hitting F12 once the system starts booting off the CD. You'll get a hardware option then which will let you load the drivers.

Cheers,
Think what you can do...
BR772091
Advisor

Thank you for the reply Chris;

because of the time restrictions the system was recovered from tapes.

I'm pretty sure I loaded the right drivers and still was not able to see the logical drive.

Do you know, if I do a parallel install into the same partition but into another folder (for example \WINNT2) - will I be able to save data or not?

I should find a time and try it.

Regards, Igor
Chris Moran
Advisor

Hi Igor,

I would only ever put it into another partition (or drive) because things like "Program Files" and "Documents and Settings" (or whatever it was under NT4 will potentially be overwritten, and we don't want that
Think what you can do...