HP Smart Array p420/1gb on Supermicro x9DRi-f cant acces ORCA utility

So I have got the following configuration :

MB - SUPERMICRO X9DRI-F
Bios Version - X9DRi3_731. ; IPMI Version - SMT_X9_239
CPU - INTEL XEON E5-2650V2 2.6Ghz s2011 x 2
HDD - Western digital 1000Gb SATA II RAID edition 7200rpm 64mb cache x 2
SERVER CASE SUPERMICRO CSE-836E16-R500B 500W Redundant
And…. HP SMART ARRAY P420/1Gb FBWC.

My problem is that I can’t set the RAID1 array as boot device because the bios don’t see it.
If I attach some drive with a OS I see the array.

HP controller is with last firmware version 4.68
In the HP Storage Manager the RAID1 Array  is set as boot
I tried it on PCI slot 3 CPU1, and 5 CPU2 on the MB.

So i figured out that i need ORCA utility to set the controller itself to be bootable

but after storage logical drive initialisation where i see the array nothing else happens.

Please help

2 REPLIES 2
David_Tocker
Regular Advisor

Re: HP Smart Array p420/1gb on Supermicro x9DRi-f cant acces ORCA utility

More than likely a problem with the supermicro bios or settings. I would update the system board bios first and see if that helps then look deeply at the settings if not. That is what you get for putting a smart array in another box - literally no support from anyone. I would look at the supermicro support list and get the generic (lsi?) recommended card as it will probably work better with everything including the lights on the drive enclosure. HP gear works best with HP gear and its not necessarily a bad thing.

Regards.

David Tocker
Juronde
Occasional Visitor

Re: HP Smart Array p420/1gb on Supermicro x9DRi-f cant acces ORCA utility

Hello David, thank you for the reply. 

What else can i say we are a major distributor of Supermicro for our country but its first time for me to assemble HP component with a Supermicro MB.

Of course i have send a mail to Supermicro support and they returned some suggestion with MB BIOS settings but that didnt work either.

For last they told me to try with another MB from DR series i tried with 2, DRL and DRD also with SCM and some Desktop ASUS. 

All the same i cannot get access to ORCA utility where i need  to set the controller as boot.

When i roll back the controller firmware with the prevision version which is 3.22 i get the infinite stroke loop after the logical drive initialisation.

If i set PCIe setting to BOOT from UEFI only it stops seeing the controller at all i tried with PCIe slot GEN 1,2,3 on  x8  and x4x4 

The controller performance otherwise is very good.

RAID_1

138 Mb write

252 Mb read

I/O 

712 Fileserver

495 Web server

742 Database