HPE ProLiant Storage Systems
1753905 Members
10343 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Is it possible to recover disk identifying info from server when all drives are removed?

Rich Holt
Occasional Contributor

Is it possible to recover disk identifying info from server when all drives are removed?

PLEASE HELP if you know the answer!

If a server was turned off, and all its drives removed, is it even possible to read something from the ROM config to figure out which drives were installed and in what position?

A clerical mistake led to the wrong server being decomissioned, and now I need to know if I have any chance of recovering by locating the drives that were in this server abd reinstalling them. The real problem is that there were a few servers pulled out of the rack at the same time, and all the disks are on a cart. I can't tell which ones were originally in this server.

I'm wondering if the ROM config stores any form of disk serial number or other ID that I could read without destroying my chances of resurrecting the server? I doubt this is the only time that this has happened, there must be some way...???
2 REPLIES 2
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Is it possible to recover disk identifying info from server when all drives are removed?

What kind of server was it? What OS was running?
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Re: Is it possible to recover disk identifying info from server when all drives are removed?

It does depend on, wich Hardware we are talking aboute.

Proliant servers with smart array controllers. store the RAID information on all disks. And it support drive roaming.

So if it is a smart array controller.
Put the disks in in any order, and power up the server.
It will prompt you to confirm the changes.
Just accept.

Note. if it had a filed disk prior to removal, you might have a problem.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo