1748185 Members
3745 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Smart Array P400

LambdaFox
Visitor

Smart Array P400

I am setting up a workstation with some  old equipment.  I am new to RAID & SAS, so, sorry if this is a stupid question...

I want to run 3 SATA disks in RAID 0

I also have a sata to esata port adapter, that I want to use to hotplug hdd for occasional backup of the raid.

Does it matter how I connect to the 2 SAS ports?

i.e. should the raid be on one and esata on the other?

or should i connect 2 drive to each?

or just use 1 for everything?

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
rkjha_hp
Advisor

Re: Smart Array P400

If you are creating RAID0, it will give you a combind storage space however even a single disk failure will loose all data on it.

Even a partial failure on it will disable the logical drive and will not be in use.

Use this config by taking all considerations.

rgds,

LambdaFox
Visitor

Re: Smart Array P400

The system is on a UPS, which is on a Surge protector.  The purpose of having the eSATA hotplug port is to do clones of the raid on a single slower drive, so in case of temporary failure I could run the system from that until I get the RAID repaired.  This will give me a working backup regardless of whether the P400 or one or more of the RAID drives fails.

Rather than having that extra disk inside the system, I plan to keep it in an antistatic bag in another part of the house.

My real question, is:

Which of the following cable configurations should I use, or does it make any difference?

1)  1 29 pin SAS to 4x SATA cable on one SAS port with everything attached to that.

2)   2 29 pin SAS to 2x SATA cables -- one on each SAS port -- putting 2 of the RAID drives on one and the esata and the third RAID drive and the eSATA  port on the other.

3)  1 29 pin SAS to 4x SATA cable on one SAS port with the RAID on that, and a 1 29 pin SAS to 1 SATA on the other SAS port for the eSATA port