4934 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

smart array p400 expand logical drive

croo
Occasional Contributor

smart array p400 expand logical drive

I have a smart array p400 without the option BBWC
I want to increase the size of the LUN from 60 Gb to 120 Gb at the expense of free space on the physical disks.

Will I be able to do this without rebuilding the LUN?
Will I be able to do it after purchase and connect BBWC, without rebuilding LUN?

1 REPLY 1

Re: smart array p400 expand logical drive

Croo, i think it depends on the type of RAID you are using. A RAID1 lun doens't really need rebuilding i guess. A RAID5 LUN, will probably have to do some redistribution of data. Since you don't have the BBWC option installed now, i'm sure it's a RAID1+0 LUN.

You can online resize the disk from the OS itself. On HP-UX, use saconfig. There's an example in the man page for this.

To extend logical drive 2 up to 45 GB in capacity:

/opt/raidsa/bin/saconfig /dev/ciss2 -E 2 -c 45

There's also an option to add disks to the LUN. Here, some recalculating is done, data will have to be copied. If you use the same disk, you extend the LUN with empty space (2 times), so i guess, nothing to calculate for that.

If there are LUNs on the disk, after the one you are expanding, it won't do it. You can create a new logical drive, and add that one the volume on the OS.

You can also change the priority of rebuilding/expanding LUNs if performace degradation during the rebuild is a concern.

To set the expand priority of logical drives on a controller to       medium:

/opt/raidsa/bin/saconfig /dev/ciss9 -e medium

To set the rebuild priority of logical drives on a controller to high:

/opt/raidsa/bin/saconfig /dev/ciss9 -r high