Protect Your Assets
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Security: Build it in...to your kids

Kerry_Matre on ‎02-26-2016 12:42 PM

National Engineers Week2.pngToday is the last day of the 2016 National Engineers Week. This week was founded by NSPE in 1951 and is meant to increase the understanding of and interest in engineering and technology careers. I recently got to participate in the week’s events by spending a morning with a class of 4th and 5th graders exploring what it is to be an engineer. By the end of the morning every child in that class was enthused by the fact that they use engineering every day. It was not a foreign thing they had to learn but was part of their every-day lives.

When I returned to work my discussions quickly turned to how you build security into your organization. My first thoughts centered around how it would be so much easier to build security mindedness into 10 year olds than it is to re-program adults to think about security first.

So I propose...let's build security into our kids.

• When they create a new account, have them use a new password and not reuse.
  • When they install a new "free" app, have them think deeply about how they are really paying for that app with their security and privacy. 
  • When they create, when they innovate, have them understand the security implications of their design so that their creation can be the best it can be.

Let's enable them to fearlessly innovate. Let's build security into our kids.

What do you think?

Happy National Engineers Week!

About the Author

Kerry_Matre

Comments
Daniel Dorr
on ‎02-26-2016 03:07 PM

It's a new way to think about how we can help the enterprise of the future with the kids of today.  We teach kids in school how to respond to a fire.  What is more likely, a home fire or security incident?  A hosue fire happens to roughly .3% of people but we teach it in school.  Identity theaft alone hits over 9M Americans personally (almost 3% of the population) not to mention a breach happening an average 1.9x / week at companies globally.   

Events
June 6 - 8, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Discover 2017 Las Vegas
Join us for HPE Discover 2017 in Las Vegas. The event will be held at the Venetian | Palazzo from June 6-8, 2017.
Read more
Each Month in 2017
Software Expert Days - 2017
Join us online to talk directly with our Software experts during online Expert Days. Find information here about past, current, and upcoming Expert Da...
Read more