1752572 Members
4407 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Blade server mgmt thru iLO from host OS, without IP address

Arijit Mukherjee

Blade server mgmt thru iLO from host OS, without IP address

Hi,
I want to be able to access the iLO firmware from the host OS - so that I can do some blade management activities, without having to use the IP address of iLO.
Is there anyway, that I can do that? I would prefer not to use any new device driver on the host OS for the same.
So, here's a rundown of my scenario:
o I have access to the host OS of a blade, using its IP address.
o Due to specific needs, I do not know the IP address of the iLO NIC, neither its DNS name.
o I am using vRacks (Blades connected to a switch) - so, anything that is specific to the physical Rack will not be usable for me.
o I need to access iLO from the host OS, without having to install any new drivers on the host OS.

Thanks and regards,
Arijit
8 REPLIES 8
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Re: Blade server mgmt thru iLO from host OS, without IP address

What functions of iLO are you trying to access? What OS is the host?
Arijit Mukherjee

I am trying to get the IP address of the iLO and other config information. I have RHEL 4 as the host OS.
After I posted the message, a few more readings revealed that I could use HPONCFG - in which, I could use the same XML files as is used for locfg. So, am testing this out. However, it requires a Driver to be installed - and also, I did not find a RPM for RHEL - so will perhaps. have to check the distro to use by trial and error.
This aside, if there is any better option, I will be elated to learn that.
Thanks a lot for all the help,
Regards,
-Arijit
Mike Strako
Trusted Contributor

Do you have physical access to that server (blade)? Are they BL series? If yes to both, you can use a dongle to browse into them, configure/make changes etc. without additional drivers or interuption of service.
Arijit Mukherjee

I cannot walk upto the blade and use a jumper. I have to use the IP address of the host OS.
Mike Strako
Trusted Contributor

Do you have the toe-tag that came with it for the blade, IE serial number/DNS name and it's password?
acartes
Honored Contributor

If you can not install the iLO driver, you will not be able to reconfigure iLO from the host.

If you are using the HP management agents, the system management home page will have an iLO link containing the iLO IP address and name. However, the agents require the driver to get this information from iLO.
Arijit Mukherjee

In the doc it says that both iLO as well as host applications listen onto the management bus. Is there no way that I can write an application that writes the XML file to the management BUS, to which, the iLO replies back?

From what I understand, the drivers are required for ability to read the General registers in iLO memory.

I, ofcourse, can be completely wrong.

Thanks and regards,
Arijit
Arijit Mukherjee

I was trying to install hprsm (and as a dependency hpasm). I tried using the RPM for RH8.0 - but installation failed. Then, I used hpasm for RHEL2.1 - and hpasm installed and came up OK, However, when I try to install hprsm, I get the following error, after rebuilding for my kernel failed:
No insight management devices available
(missing or disabled) on this system.

I found a thread on the same topic - but it did not have much information. So, was wondering, if anyone could help me out.

Thanks and regards,
Arijit