1753577 Members
6549 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Configuring a FQDN on a BL20p ILO

Craig Jackson_3
Frequent Advisor

Configuring a FQDN on a BL20p ILO

I'm having difficulty configuring a Fully Qualified Domain Name on a BL20p ILO. I'd like to configure it so that it'll make the certificate for the FQDN, and not just the unqualified hostname.

The ILO UI doesn't allow any periods in the "ILO Subsystem name" field, and the RBSU is even more restrictive. (It seems like it truncates any name entered at 15 characters.) I'd like to try this via RIBCL, but I haven't gotten that to work. (Just tried it a little.)

This should be that hard -- I have a RILOE II card in a DL380 G2 (running firmware 1.15) and it allows you to set the FQDN into the "Remote Insight Lights-Out Edition II board name" field. The certificate gets created correctly.

One other way to handle this would be to have the BL20p simply concatenate the "ILO subsystem name" with the "domain name" field when forming the certificate.
6 REPLIES 6
acartes
Honored Contributor

Re: Configuring a FQDN on a BL20p ILO

iLO splits this into the hostname and the DNS suffix. Combined, this is the FQDN.

Make sure your iLO is not configured to Use DNS supplied Domain Name.

For example, if you want

iLOnode.domain.com

The iLO Subsystem name would be "iLOnode"
And the Domain Name would be "domain.com"

Note that there can be "gotchas" with name services. Details and warnings are on the help page.
Craig Jackson_3
Frequent Advisor

I tried adjusting the "use dhcp domain name" option, and not having it register with WINS.

Neither helped.

I need to try hponcfg.

Craig
Justink

This thread looks a bit dated, but has anyone noted a solution yet?

I have a couple BL-25p and BL-35p and they are behaving in the same way: the fqdn reports the ilo hostname without the domain name.

Checked for iLO firmware updates but none seem to have been released yet.
Craig Jackson_3
Frequent Advisor

Nope, I've been meaning to try to figure out how to register a formal Request For Enhancement in this area.

Justink

I also noticed my 380 and 385 servers have no problems; its seems specific to the iLO management on the Blade Center.

On a side note: are you assigning IP by the blade chassis, using DHCP, or static? I'm currently using the Chassis assignment, which technically would be the only meathod unavailable to a stand alone unit. Have you tried one of the other methods just to see if its a provisioning problem with that specific method?
Craig Jackson_3
Frequent Advisor

I've used DHCP for both blade ILOs and RILOE boards.

Craig