1748256 Members
4096 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380 G4 iLO really slow using Virtual CD

Nu IT
Contributor

DL380 G4 iLO really slow using Virtual CD

Anyone else experience very slow access when using a local hard drive .iso image as a virtual CD through an iLO? I'm even using the latest 1.70 firmware and have tried two separate bootable CD's, both the latest Smart Start and Symantec's (wonderful!) LiveState Recovery CD written to an .iso.

As an example, booting to the Language selection screen of the Smart Start CD took over 6 mins! Getting to LiveState's license agreement screen takes 14 whopping minutes!

Booting these physical CD's in the DL380's CD-ROM drive takes a fraction of the time.

Ouch! Is this slow behavior the norm!?
2 REPLIES 2
Derek_31
Valued Contributor

Re: DL380 G4 iLO really slow using Virtual CD

I don't have specific times for our environment, but past experience shows that iLO virtual devices are truly extraordinarly slow. I remember booting from a virtual floppy taking several minutes.
acartes
Honored Contributor

Re: DL380 G4 iLO really slow using Virtual CD

We did find that certain Linux distros have a USB performance feature named something like "bandwidth reclamation".

This feature decides if a USB device responds too slowly, and if so, drops it to a very low priority. The thinking is that then USB will respond to other devices quickly, but the result for iLO virtual CD is that it is extra extra slow---