Server Management - Remote Server Management
1752809 Members
6244 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL585 G5 - No power monitoring with ILO2 Advanced?!

SOLVED
Go to solution
JimTaylor
Advisor

If you login to ILO2, and click on System Information and then the Power tab, on other systems such as a DL385 G5 you will see that it displays 'Present Power Reading' and shows the current system draw in Watts.

If you click into the Power Management tab, you'll see there is an option on the left called Power Meter to view power draw over a period of time.

These options are not present on our DL585's and conveniently the help files fail to mention those options - the appropriate entries are just not there.

Again - this is frustrating for us as we'd purchased 585's to consolidate some older hardware and wanted to watch the power draw on the servers we were putting in to see how the utilisation climbed as additional hosts were added.

I emailed HP support for clarification and they redirected me back to this thread - a thread that I created!! :)
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Although you dont need Insight Power Manager to pull the display you are after... if you look on the list of supported servers it tells you the list of servers that can provide this information.

The DL585 is not on this list. Neither is the DL785.

But the BL685 is! Hmmm
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

got it now I see

the interesting thing is this

""Power Consumption Reporting
On supported server models, the iLO 2 management processor displays the present power consumption in Watts. The present power is a five minute average that is calculated and displayed via all iLO 2 interfaces (browser, CLI, script)."""

source: http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12362_na/12362_na.html

now I wanna know which are those supported servers?

just assuming
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01130986тМй=en&cc=us&taskId=101&prodSeriesId=1842750&prodTypeId=15351

that advisory is related with power meter and If I assume that the Servers that support power meter would be these

Hardware Platforms Affected:

HP ProLiant DL385 G2 Server series, HP ProLiant DL365 Server series, HP ProLiant BL465c Server series, HP ProLiant BL480c Server series, HP Integrated Lights-Out 2 (iLO 2) Firmware(Standard HP Product), HP ProLiant BL25p G2 Server series, HP ProLiant BL20p G4 Server series, HP ProLiant DL380 G5 Server series, HP ProLiant BL45p G2 Server series, HP ProLiant BL460c Server series, HP ProLiant ML350 G5 Server series, HP ProLiant DL360 G5 Server series, HP ProLiant ML370 G5 Server series, HP Integrated Lights-Out 2 (iLO 2) Standard Blade Edition Firmware(Standard HP Product), HP ProLiant BL685c Server series

I would like to get something more specific saying List of supported server but had been difficult for me

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
JimTaylor
Advisor

Well - controversially, check out this page:

http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/versions.html

It lists the features of ILO2 and what models of server support it and under what licensing mode you have to be to get it. Present Power Reading and Historical Power Reading / Capping is listed as a feature for Advanced ILO2 users on (and I quote) "All HP ProLiant ML/DL 300/500/700 Series equipped with iLO 2" - a DL585 is a 500 series server, it has an ILO2 board, and I have an advanced license.

So where are the Power Readings....? :(
JimTaylor
Advisor

Karlo -

The page you linked to:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12362_na/12362_na.html)

It does indeed say, further down the page, that the Power reading / monitoring, etc is available on (and I quote again) "All HP ProLiant ML/DL 300/500 Series."

KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

yes

I read all of them but you can see it's not, documentation it's not the best for this matter
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
acartes
Honored Contributor

JimTaylor
Advisor

Doesn't seem to be a very clear cut yes or no on whether power monitoring should be there.

I noticed that the DL585 G5 is listed as a supported product on IPM - I don't see how it can be supported if there are no power commands available over ILO for the IPM product to extract the data it needs? If I SSH into the ILO on a server that supports power readings, I can see the following data in /system1 :

oemhp_PresentPower=232 Watts
oemhp_AveragePower=231 Watts
oemhp_MaxPower=242 Watts
oemhp_MinPower=231 Watts

IPM needs SSH available otherwise it cannot log the data so I can only assume it gets the information from here.

On a DL585 G5 in the same area I see:

Power Monitoring commands aren't supported

Without those power figures, how could IPM work?