Server Management - Remote Server Management
1753481 Members
4342 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Lights-Out Online Configuration Utility won't run.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mark D. Baker
Occasional Advisor

HP Lights-Out Online Configuration Utility won't run.

When I try to execute hponcfg_gui.exe using "run-as administrator", I receive two error dialogs and after clicking ok on both, the GUI opens but doesn't show any data.

I have attached a ZIP file contaning pics showing progression of steps for the above, and two TXT files contaning the Windows Error Log data for the two errors listed in the Windows Error Log relating to this.
9 REPLIES 9
Mark D. Baker
Occasional Advisor

Sorry, forgot to include OS info.

Running Windows Server 2008 R2.
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

You need the iLO management interface driver to be loaded before hponcfg will function.

This link has the needed drivers for iLO3

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=4154847&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=4154735&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4064

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
shocko
Honored Contributor

Yes,
Sounds like there is no driver to allow the OS talk to iLO.
If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
Mark D. Baker
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for the quick answer! I apologize for the very delayed response on my part.

This server is a DL580 G5 and does not have iLO3. I did take your advice on installing the driver though. However, since I had run the PSP 8.70 the drivers were up-to-date. Online config util still won't run properly.

Additionally, I can't connect to iLO via web browser, but not sure if this is simply because it's not properly configured or if it is for some other reason.

Also, I am not able to config iLO from the console upon booting the server. The POST message states that "The iLO module is currently unavailable".

Maybe this is an actual hardware problem with the iLO module? I'm wondering if I should open a hardware support case?
Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor
Solution

iLO2 could be unresponsive.

Can you have somebody go onsite and shut down the server then, remove the power cord for ~10 seconds?

If iLO2 comes back after that then, you need to upgrade iLO2 firmware to version 2.05. This version in particular fixes several bugs that made iLO2 unresponsive in the past.

Could be a hardware issue. Have your removed power from the system to reset iLO?
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Mark D. Baker
Occasional Advisor

Thanks to both of you for your responses. I will try that later this morning and reply with results.
Mark D. Baker
Occasional Advisor

That's all it took! The firmware hadn't been updated since iLO was not accessible. Once it was reset, I updated the firmware to 2.05 and life was good!

Online config app works now!

Thanks much for your help.
Mark D. Baker
Occasional Advisor

Solved per above...