5202 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

HP ilo connection error with Powershell + HP ilo cmdlets

dakine77
Occasional Visitor

HP ilo connection error with Powershell + HP ilo cmdlets

Hello.

I just downloaded and installed the latest HP ILO commandlet package (1.3.1)

When I run a simple command I get the an error which I do not understand:

PowerCLI C:\> Get-HPiLOFirmwareInfo -Server iloserver01.company.int -Username Admin

Error - 192.168.99.13 - iloserver01.company.int - retrieving information from iLO
Ausnahme beim Aufrufen von "UploadString" mit 3 Argument(en): "Die zugrunde liegende Verbindung wurde geschlossen: Unerwarteter Fehler beim Senden.."

In C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\PowerShell\Modules\HPiLOCmdlets\HPiLOCmdlets.psm1:12334 Zeichen:21
+ throw $retobject.err
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+CategoryInfo :OperationStopped: (Ausnahme beim A...beim Senden.."
:String) [], RuntimeException
+FullyQualifiedErrorId :Ausnahme beim Aufrufen von "UploadString" mit 3 Argument(en): "Die zugrunde liegende Verbindung wurde geschlossen: Unerwarteter Fehler beim Senden.."

Does anyone have the same issue and know a workaround or answer for this problem?

I have found a post with a same error post, but without a reply or solution:

PS C:\Windows\System32> Get-HPiLOServerName -Server usraciPV100-r  -Username "RILOE_ADMIN" –Password "password" -DisableCertificateAuthentication

Error - 10.250.66.11 - usraciPV100-r - Error retrieving information from iLO Exception calling "UploadString" with "3" argument(s): "The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found." At C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\PowerShell\Modules\HPiLOCmdlets\HPiLOCmdlets.psm1:19218 char:25 + throw $retobject.err + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ +CategoryInfo :OperationStopped: (Exception calli...4) Not Found." :String) [], RuntimeException +FullyQualifiedErrorId :Exception calling "UploadString" with "3" argument(s): "The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found."

I’ve verified the ILO name is correct. The ILO is running version 2.05. It’s online and running. And I can log into the ILO with the username and password. I get this error message for any of the ILO’s in our environment.

16 REPLIES 16
GokulKS
HPE Pro

Re: HP ilo connection error with Powershell + HP ilo cmdlets

Hi,

This is an enhanced security feature implemented in all cmdlets of iLO 1.3 release where cmdlets will work only if target iLO server has an valid server certificate installed on it, otherwise cmdlet will fail with the mentioned output.

To by-pass this check we have provided another switch parameter for all cmdlets called "-DisableCertificateAuthentication" which will not check for server certificate and you will get desired output, but its not recommened from security point of view.

Let me know if you still face same issue.

Thanks,

Gokul

HPE PowerShell Team

I am a HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

dakine77
Occasional Visitor

Still having the same error with the error message that I posted before. There is a valid certificate installed. Even calling the cmdlet with the option "-DisableCertificateAuthentication" has the same problem.

I have tested the cmdlet call with different ilos and settings:

DL380 G7 is working  - ilo 3 FW 1.87 with valid certificate

DL380 G7 is not working  - ilo 3 FW 1.87 with invalid certificate (also with option "-DisableCertificateAuthentication")

iDL380 G8 is not working - ilo 4 with FW 2.40 with valid certificate

DL380 G9 is not working - ilo 4 with FW 2.40 with valid certificate

Strange behaviour. Any idea?

GokulKS
HPE Pro

Hi,

Can you get me more details on the system where iLO cmdlets are not working to triage the issue further.

$PSVersionTable

Get-HPiLOModuleVersion

Get-WmiObject Win32_OperatingSystem | Select-Object Caption, Description, OSArchitecture, ServicePackMajorVersion | Format-List

Also have you enabled higher security standard like AEH or FIPS on the iLO server where its not working ?

Thanks,

Gokul

I am a HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

dakine77
Occasional Visitor

PS H:\> $PSVersionTable

Name                           Value                                                                                                                                                                                                     
----                           -----                                                                                                                                                                                                     
PSVersion                      4.0                                                                                                                                                                                                       
WSManStackVersion              3.0                                                                                                                                                                                                       
SerializationVersion           1.1.0.1                                                                                                                                                                                                   
CLRVersion                     4.0.30319.42000                                                                                                                                                                                           
BuildVersion                   6.3.9600.16406                                                                                                                                                                                            
PSCompatibleVersions           {1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0}                                                                                                                                                                                      
PSRemotingProtocolVersion      2.2   
PS H:\> Get-HPiLOModuleVersion

Name                 : HPiLOCmdlets
Path                 : C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\PowerShell\Modules\HPiLOCmdlets\HPiLOCmdlets.psm1
Description          : Cmdlets to interface with Hewlett Packard Enterprise iLO
GUID                 : 05545ade-5f25-4696-bfcc-e1d67fe32519
Version              : 1.3.0.1
CurrentUICultureName : de-DE
AvailableUICulture   : {@{UICultureName=en-US; UICultureVersion=1.3.0.0}, @{UICultureName=zh-CN; UICultureVersion=1.3.0.0}, @{UICultureName=ja-JP; UICultureVersion=1.3.0.0}}
PS H:\> Get-WmiObject Win32_OperatingSystem | Select-Object Caption, Description, OSArchitecture, ServicePackMajorVersion | Format-List

Caption                 : Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise 
Description             : 
OSArchitecture          : 64-Bit
ServicePackMajorVersion : 1

Here are some test results with a test HP cmdlet via ilo (test cmdlet: Get-HPiLOFirmwareInfo -Server -Username)

DL380 G7 with ilo3 FW_1.87: AES and FIPS Encryption not activated, valid certificate, Browserconnection is using TLS 1.1 - test is working
DL380 G7 with ilo3 FW_1.87: AES activated, FIPS not activated, valid certificate, Browserconnection is using TLS 1.1 - test is working
DL380 G8 with ilo4 FW_2.40: AES activated, FIPS not activated, valid certificate, Browser connection is using TLS 1.2 - test is not working
DL380 G8 with ilo4 FW_2.40: AES activated, FIPS not activated, valid certificate, Browser connection is using TLS 1.2, with option "DisableCertificateAuthentication" - test is not working
DL380 G8 with ilo4 FW_2.40: AES not activated, FIPS not activated, valid certificate, Browser connection is using TLS 1.2 - test working

GokulKS
HPE Pro

Hi,

We tried to reproduce the issue in our lab and found that its not reproducible for the servers you mentioned earlier.

DL380p – Gen8 – FW 2.40 – Encryption Enabled / Disabled – Valid and Invalid Certificate – Cmdlet Works.

DL380  –  Gen9 – FW 2.40  – Encryption Enabled / Disabled – Valid and Invalid Certificate  - Cmdlet Works.

The environment we tested is same as you mentioned PS 4.0 and Windows 7.

Looks like there is some thing different on your environment which making cmdlets fail.

Are you using localised build of iLO ?

Thanks,

Gokul

I am a HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

DDinu
Visitor

Hi Everyone,

Am running in to the same issue.  Any resolution for this one yet ?

AaronK
Frequent Advisor

Same issue here. Anyone figure out a fix?

AK

JW-_CSA

Simmilar Problem here.

Tried to access ILO3 Board with Powershell Tools

ILO3 Ver. 1.87 - AES on - Access ok

ILO3 Ver. 1.87 - AES off - Access ok

ILO3 Ver. 1.88 - AES on - Access nok

ILO3 Ver. 1.88 - AES off - Access ok

tested on BL460c G7, DL380 G7,DL360 G7,DL580 G7

Tested Command:

Get-HPiLOFirmwareVersion -Server iloserver.local -Username $user -Password $password -DisableCertificateAuthentication

Error:

Error - 1.1.1.2 - iloserver.local - retrieving information from iLO

Exception calling "UploadString" with "3" argument(s): "The request was aborted: Could not create SSL/TLS secure channel."

At C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\PowerShell\Modules\hpilocmdlets\HPiLOCmdlets.psm1:12555 char:21

+ throw $retobject.err

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+CategoryInfo :OperationStopped: (Exception calli...cure channel."

:String) [], RuntimeException

+FullyQualifiedErrorId :Exception calling "UploadString" with "3" argument(s): "The request was aborted: Could not create SSL/TLS secure channel."

PS Version:

Name Value

---- -----

PSVersion 4.0

WSManStackVersion 3.0

SerializationVersion 1.1.0.1

CLRVersion 4.0.30319.42000

BuildVersion 6.3.9600.16406

PSCompatibleVersions {1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0}

PSRemotingProtocolVersion 2.2

.NET Version

HPILOCMDLETS Version

ModuleType Version Name ExportedCommands

---------- ------- ---- ----------------

Script 1.3.0.1 hpilocmdlets {Add-HPiLOFederationGroup, Add-HPiLOSSORecord, Add-HPiLOUser, Clear-HPiLOAHSData...}

Can someone give me advice?

Cheers

JW

Saunders
Occasional Advisor

I was running into the same problem today, and after some googling around, I found out that the issue was related to the Power Configuration on your client machine, not the HPE Powershell library or ILO Configuration. 

Try adding this to your powershell script: 

[Net.ServicePointManager]::SecurityProtocol = [Net.SecurityProtocolType]::Tls12
or
[Net.ServicePointManager]::SecurityProtocol = [Net.SecurityProtocolType]::Tls11

Saunders