Server Management - Remote Server Management
1748256 Members
3801 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Have ILO - Need RILOE?

C S Dunn

Have ILO - Need RILOE?

This is a dumb question, but we have a lot of new servers with embedded ILO - is there any advantage to adding a RILOE II card to them?
6 REPLIES 6
Daniel Thrun
Valued Contributor

Greetings. The iLO I believe is allot better in lots of ways (Passthru for Terminal Services, Online Configuration, etc) than the RILO II. RILO II gives you graphical remote controll for free... iLO you must "pay" for the Advanced Licensing to get the Graphical Remote Controll. Overall the iLO is allot better. With the G4 models you also get the ability (not all models) to share the onboard NIC's with the iLO port for more redundancy....
Ruslan
Respected Contributor

There are some advantages in RILOE card. Better graphic visualization (better compression of video signal), connectivity to external ports and external power supply. In present, iLO 2 has been announced with great capabilities. IMHO it's the better choice.
C S Dunn

Thanks to both of you. Doesn't sound like there's a solid reason to add RILOE II to those servers.
Patrick Burwell
Occasional Advisor

I did note the RILOE2 does not have the "Local file ooption" under the Virtual Media for cd mounting of an ISO image, where the ILO does.
I'm running Windows 2000 Standard Server with SP4 and all critical updates and yet I still cannot it to load an ISO.
By the Law is the knowledge of sin
acartes
Honored Contributor

Good questions and comments. Here are my thoughts:
RILOE II has better remote console performance than iLO. However, this can be mitigated using iLO terminal services passthrough. I think that RC performance is the main benefit of RILOE II over iLO.

iLO is better integrated with the host server in terms of logs, status, system information, and other details.

iLO is actively being developed, so features will continue to evolve and improve in iLO.

Yes, some features in iLO require a license key to activate, and you pay for that license key, however you also have to pay for RILOE.
Patrick Burwell
Occasional Advisor

The RILOE2 does not require a license to function where the ILO2 does.
So, it would appear the ILO2 is what I need to go back to for the ISO mount capability. I also understand the RILOE2 (rib2) boards have both heat and hanging issues.

thios is the kind of stuff that makes the Admins NUTS. LOL!
By the Law is the knowledge of sin