New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to know iLO features enabled in my HP servers /

SOLVED
Go to solution
Server-Support
Super Advisor

How to know iLO features enabled in my HP servers /

Hi,

I wonder how can I know which server got iLO enabled and its IP address throughout the datacenter ?

Thanks,
Best regards,
6 REPLIES 6
Trygve Henriksen
Respected Contributor
Solution

What model servers?

Blade Servers all have IPs assigned via the Onboard Administrator in the c3000/c7000 chassis.

ILOs in 300/500 and so on, will use DHCP to set IP-address if you don't manually set one.
(There's some command-line tools that can be used to script the configuration on them. These may possibly be able to read out the current configuration, too? )
DHCP-configured ones will show up in the DHCP-server with names beginning with ILO...

100series servers...
These use the 100c card, and doesn't support the same command-line tools.
IP is first set according to BIOS settings in the server.

Finding which IP belongs to which server?
Ouch...

I would take a long, hard look at the command-line tools. (Sorry, not an expert on them, so can't help you on that point.)
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

By default all iLOs are enabled using DHCP, if you plug them into a network with a DHCP server they will get an address.

To see what IP is assigned, either watch during POST when the iLO firmware displays, or use the HPONCFG utility from the host OS.

Someone else commented:
>Blade Servers all have IPs assigned via
>the Onboard Administrator in the
>c3000/c7000 chassis.

This is only true if the OA is configured to provide the addresses via EBIPA, otherwise they act just like iLO/iLO2/iLO3 in any other ProLiant server

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Server-Support
Super Advisor

doh (>_<)" according to this article

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=1146658&prodTypeId=15351&objectID=c02629048&printver=true

the server needs to be restarted if I use port scanner :-|
this is very harmful way to discovering hundreds of servers in my datacenter.
Best regards,
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

What I read in the article is iLO "may" stop responding if you beat on it with a port scanner. Besided the firmware 2.05 fix, if you configure the port scanner to be less aggresive in the scan you probably won't see the issue
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

The issue fixed in iLO2 2.05 was related to the TCP backlog. You could trigger this bug if you have a tool that beats the c#ap out of iLO2 by opening and immediately closing multiple TCP sessions at the same time and doing it very fast.
Usually, only vulnerabity scanners software like Nessus and FoundStone can do this when these tools scan hosts looking for vulnerabilities. They allow you to stress the host with several attacks (plug-ins) at the same time.

That said, you should upgrade your iLO2s to version 2.05 as soon as possible. Not only because of this issue but, because of several other important bug fixes we included. See 2.05 release notes for more details.

About discovering iLOs on a network, while working on this backlog case, I had to develop a Windows App to monitor my iLOs in my network. The App lets you discover multiple iLOs by either using a list of IP addresses separated by ";" or by using few IP addresses containing "*" as wildcard. ( example: xxx.yyy.zzz.*;xxx.yyy.www.* )

See attachment.

Note: You need .NET version 3.5 to be able to run this app.

Attaching zip file again.

Rename from .piz to .zip