1753894 Members
7393 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ILO access using ssh

Tim McMurphy
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the help. You are 100 times more useful than HP support has been so far. It is a Linux setup so I'll try the VSP. Thanks for the links.
David Pullman_1

Just a quick point regarding the use of the VSP, and not to take away at all from the response by acartes:

We're just getting used to the HP DL585s we bought and we found that if you configure the embedded (physical) serial port for com1, then the BIOS will automatically set the VSP for com2. Or vice a versa. In other words you can't have both on the same com port.

What this means as we see it so far is that we can't use our server room serial terminal concentrator and also use VSP. At least I don't think we can configure the RHEL OS install for console to more than one port.

Part of this is a traditional reliance on our part to have the physical serial console on our concentrator as a fundamental need. This is because we've been a Sun shop for many years. So we may be faced with reconsidering that and changing our conmfort zone a bit :)

--David
acartes
Honored Contributor

In response to David's comments...
>> ... in other words you can't have both [the VSP and a COM port] on the same com port.

True; COM ports and VSP are logically separate serial interfaces from an I/O resource perspective.

>> we can't use our server room serial terminal concentrator and also use VSP.

Not completely true... see below.

>>At least I don't think we can configure the RHEL OS install for console to more than one port.

I think that you can set this up when the console is specified (inittab?) using a comma-separated list; i.e. console=ttys0,ttys1

>> Part of this is a traditional reliance on our part to have the physical serial console on our concentrator as a fundamental need. This is because we've been a Sun shop for many years.

Serial infrastrcuture for management s pretty typical in long-time Unix shops, as I understand it.

The current iLO firmware allows you to configure the iLO command-line interface (CLP) to share the server's DB9 serial port. This can be configured on the iLO Global settings page, scripting interfaces, etc. If you want the iLO CLP and the host OS to share the system DB9 port.

This means a terminal connected to the serial port can signal to iLO to invoke the CLP.

I think the signal is esc (

iLO will prompt you for login, if configured, and then you will be able to access lights-out functions. You can return to the original serial session by exiting the command-line interface. Or, you can connect to the VSP.

This means that from the DB9 port to the iLO CLP, you can switch between the COM port or the VSP streams. However, you cannot get both at the same time.
Tim McMurphy
Occasional Contributor

You guys are great. Thanks again for the info. HP should pay you something or at least incorporate this info in their support group's database!