6290 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ILO network newbie question

SOLVED
Go to solution
Velvetpixel_1

ILO network newbie question

I am new to HP products and am managing a few C7000 chassis and would like some assistance understanding ILO and how it fits into my existing network.

My current network that the eth1 interfaces configured in the OS on my blades are using is 10.0.150.0/24

For example the CentOS install on the blade in chassis001 bay 5 has an IP of 10.0.150.27 configured on eth1

Am I able to also use this IP for ILO on that blade or do I need a separate IP in the same network range for ILO?

If I do not need external access and will only be accessing console for these ILO functions from within Onboard Administrator can I usea completely different range for ILO from my main network for the OSs? Something like a 192.168.1.0/24? If so where is that managed and what parameters need to be set for all ILO functionality to work on that other network?

In Onboard Administrator I set a separate IP for ILO for one of the blades and was able to access console and webpage for ILO for that blade but this would mean that I would need double the IPs to allow ILO. Is this correct?

Also is there a place to set ILO IP for the chassis? I have already set a static IP for the chassis but does it need an ILO IP as well?

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: ILO network newbie question

"Am I able to also use this IP for ILO on that blade or do I need a separate IP in the same network range for ILO?"

Maybe, but not likely. Typically and historically... the iLo interface was/is meant to be placed onto a totally separate management infrastructure since after all... it is a "Lights out" interface. If your main network goes down, you can still access the servers to shut them down, or manage them, or.... something.

Most times, the iLo is placed onto an existing LAN infrastructure, into a "Management VLAN". That said, it is not likely that you could use the same IP Address since the VLAN would not allow for it.

"If I do not need external access and will only be accessing console for these ILO functions from within Onboard Administrator can I usea completely different range for ILO from my main network for the OSs?"

No. Even though you can access the iLo's from the OA, it still requires an addressable IP address on the same network as the OA. There are some new options in the OA firmware for defining VLAN's, but I still think you are limited to a valid IP address on your Network.

"In Onboard Administrator I set a separate IP for ILO for one of the blades and was able to access console and webpage for ILO for that blade but this would mean that I would need double the IPs to allow ILO. Is this correct?"

Yes. Every ilo needs an address as well as most every interconnect.

"Also is there a place to set ILO IP for the chassis? I have already set a static IP for the chassis but does it need an ILO IP as well?"

No. The "ilo" for the chassis is the OA. You set the OA's IP Address... and that's all you need.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Velvetpixel_1

Re: ILO network newbie question

Thank you for your help Steven!