Server Management - Remote Server Management
1751860 Members
5442 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ILO2 firmware update caues BMC IPMI Watchdog Timer Timeout: Action=System Power Reset

Re: ILO2 firmware update caues BMC IPMI Watchdog Timer Timeout: Action=System Power Reset

I had this problem on a first generation DL320s.

I have sucessfully reflashed the iLo firmware back to 1.78 from 1.79.

You can do this by using HP Software Update Manager.
1. Download the latest HP firmware Maintenance CD ISO
2. Edit the ISO and add iLo Firmware 1.78 .scexe file if not already present.
3. write the image to a USB stick for faster booting and your away!
You may have to use force downgrade and then select verion 1.78.

Also use the latest iLo management driver.

I have had loads of grief on DL370's but this went away with 1.78 and the Windows iLo driver
Matt Sebel
Advisor

We just had the same problem last night after upgrading iLO to 1.79 in a couple of BL460 blades running 2003 SP2. The both rebooted early this morning with the same BMC message. Upgraded the driver to 1.12 (latest version available). No we wait to see if the problem manifests itself again.

Same issue with our 460c G1 blades. ILO Firmware is 1.79 and the HP ProLiant iLO 2 Management Controller Driver is at 1.12. Still a problem
Dennis D

DL360 G5
iLO 179 - BMC IPMI Watchdog Timer Timeout: Action=System Power Reset.

had to revert to 178 to stabilize.
Dennis D

forgot to mention
i am running Server 2003 R2 with SQL2005 SP3.
Klause

We are having the same issue on 4 DL360 G5
It started with NO UPDATES. Just started at the start of the month. I've updated EVERYTHING as per HP (using their software) and it's still happening. Disabled ASR, still happening but now I don't get the watchdog error. We are on 1.79 now, but HP suggested I drop back to 78. It's not cool to have production servers reboot.
Klause

Does anyone know if you have to reboot after the ILO firmware upgrade\downgrade?
Mike Murphy_5

Same issue on a ML370G5; however, didn't notice it until now. The issue started the next day AFTER updating iLO2 to FW 1.79 (logs support this). I have since updated to FW 1.81. We'll see.
Scary, The logs show many instances of BMC IPMI Watchdog Timer Timeout and ASR's. Wonder how that effects the W2K8 64bit file systems. Fingers crossed.
There was a "temp solution" for RHEL of disabling ASR, but that defeats the purpose of ASR.
8i5
Advisor

We have the same issue on ilo2 firmware 1.79 and 1.81 plus latest psp8.30 and post 8.30 drivers.

Waiting for HP's answer and I suspect it will be "disable ASR".
Carol Northcut

We've been having the same issue with a DL380 G5 for several months. Have been on the phone with HP multiple times with three different case numbers! The occurrence is random, but the logs always record the same errors. ASRs have occurred three times in the last three days. With ASR disabled, the blue screen only says *** Hardware Malfunction Call your hardware vendor for support ***The system has halted***
Each time it ASRs, the iLO2 log shows "BMC IPMI Watchdog Timer" and "Server power removed" and "server power restored." The Integrated Management Log Viewer always shows "PCI Bus Error (Slot0, Bus0, Device 0, Function 0) and "ASR Detected by system ROM." The only thing disabling ASR does is prevent the server from resetting after failure. Not a good thing. We've replaced the system board, updated all the software/firmware multiple times (currently on iLO 1.81) and it's getting worse. This is a Win2K3 R2 SP2 64x server running Tivoli, connected to a library and multiple MSAs with P800 and P400. HP has asked that I next re-run the SmartStart diagnostics and run a repair of Windows. Aaargh!