Server Management - Remote Server Management
1752339 Members
5642 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ilo and Ilo2 virtual media throughput

Bools

This Rick from HP is irritating telling al the time that the problem is the network, bla bla bla, I think he never used iLO.
ilo IS SLOW , even if you are connected with a cross over cable without any switches.
HP iLO Engineers should sort this problems.
And Rick, stpo saying what you don't know properly.
Thanks
rick jones
Honored Contributor

I am sorry you don't think I have ever used iLO vMedia. I can assure you that I do use it on a regular basis installing Linux on BL860c, BL640c, rx2660, DL380 G5 and DL385 G2. I have used it on both WAN and LAN installs (99% LAN/Campus).

Yes it can be slow.

The reasons though can be quite varied, and not always the same from site to site, which is why getting a packet trace specific to the iLO(s) in question could be helpful.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
iloguy

Based on my testings, iLO2 v1.50 is faster than v1.43 and even seems faster than iLO1 v1.92.
But, no matter what you do, iLO2 v1.50 CD/DVD-ROM won't give you more than 0.50Mb/sec average throughput.
Justin Grote
Occasional Advisor

I see about the same results iloguy, there is definitely a bottleneck somewhere in the code.
MarkE_2
Occasional Advisor

i would say for ILO 2 v1.50 is the first useable firmware version for use with Virtual Media.

Its only taken over a year to get there !
(and its still not perfect)
JimTaylor
Advisor

Not sure about that.

It doesn't seem as bad as some of the experiences of folks on here looking back through the thread but I did an install recently across a gigabit management network and it took a good few hours to install Windows Server 2003 R2 from a remotely mapped ISO image.

I guess if your datacenter in on the other side of the planet or something, then you have no choice - but if it is in the same building, then not really worth using!
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

I think it's time to put this issue to rest. And hope that the future will bring improvements to the speed.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi