3701 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Lights Out Licensing Q/Problem

sjmclean
Occasional Advisor

Lights Out Licensing Q/Problem

Hi All,

Not sure if anyone is going to be able to help but here goes. I purchased ProLiant Essentials - Integrated Lights Out Advanced Pack believing this was suitable to license the Ilo2 advance features(Remote Console etc). There is a key on the back of the product which once inputted is rejected. The part number on the back is 305279-003. Does anyone know if this product number is supposed to work with ilo2? I have had online discussion with HP staff who was less than helpful and he/she couldn't find the product number in his/her database.

Any help would be helpful.
3 REPLIES 3
Rancher
Honored Contributor

Re: Lights Out Licensing Q/Problem

In my opinion, HP makes nothing harder than to get the correct iLO pack. We have also had problems with this. That sounds like an old number to me. What server model do you have?
When you just purchase the advanced pack to activate the iLO2 on your server, you need to go online to get the license number. If you have the advanced iLo2 pack integrated on your server, it is already activated.
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

hi clean,

I can't seem to dig up this part in HP's product bulletins either but from the description it sounds as though it is for the original iLO, not iLO2. You're probably out of luck unless maybe you have some G3/G4 servers you want to use it on. :)

good luck
Jason Cecchin
Advisor

I think the following customer notice will answer this question

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00789949тМй=en&cc=us&taskId=101&prodSeriesId=1146658&prodTypeId=18964

SUPPORT COMMUNICATION - CUSTOMER NOTICE

Document ID: c00789949

Version: 1
Notice: HP Integrated Lights-Out 2 (iLO 2) with Firmware Version 1.10 (or Later) Requires an Updated License Activation Key for Integrated Lights-Out (iLO) Advanced Pack
NOTICE: The information in this document, including products and software versions, is current as of the Release Date. This document is subject to change without notice.

Release Date: 2006-10-09

Last Updated: 2006-10-09
DESCRIPTION

HP ProLiant Essentials Integrated Lights-Out (iLO) Advanced Pack option includes a license activation key (25 alpha-numeric characters) that is required to enable additional features. The format of the license activation key changed in June of 2005 to enhance key management using HP Systems Insight Manager (HP SIM) and to minimize illegal use of iLO license keys. Integrated Lights-Out 2 (iLO 2) with Firmware Version 1.10 (or later) requires the new license activation key format.

Note: HP Integrated Lights-Out Advanced Pack enables additional iLO features such as:

* Virtual Graphical Console
* Microsoft Terminal Services Integration
* Virtual Floppy Drive
* Virtual CD
* Directory Services

DETAILS

All versions of Integrated Lights-Out 2 (iLO 2) firmware support the new license key format. However, iLO 2 Firmware Version 1.10 (or later) does not support the old license key format. The following message will be displayed if a license key with the old format is used:

License Key Installation Rejected

To determine if the iLO Advanced Pack contains the old license key format, locate the assembly part number sticker on the bottom of the rear of the package. An iLO Advanced Pack with an assembly part number of 305279-00x (where x = 1 through 9) contains a license key with the old format.

Or

If the license key begins with the number "2", then the key is the old format.

Note: An old license key will only be accepted if installed prior to upgrading to iLO 2 Firmware Version 1.10 (or later).

The following iLO Advanced Pack option kits contain the new license activation key format:
ProLiant Essentials Integrated Lights-Out (iLO) Advanced Pack Option

Part Number
HP iLO Advanced Pack (Software Option Kit - 1 Server)

263825-B21
HP iLO Advanced Pack (Flexible Quantity License Kit)

302280-B21
HP iLO Advanced Pack (License Only - for use with a Master License Agreement)

302281-B21

If you have purchased an iLO Advanced Pack that contains an old license key format and plan to deploy it on an iLO 2 system, contact HP Customer Support and reference this Customer Notice to request a replacement license key.